Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now i have the stock set up. cat to cat to muffler to pipes

i was wondering if i could just cut off the muffler and last cat. and still have one cat left. and run straight pipes to the back and it would work fine. would it have a good sound. would i have enough back pressure

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
back pressure will be fine. sound wise i would think not

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Your stock exhaust system was designed with two cats, each one does something different.

Leave it alone, or replace the whole thing.

Search for bassani Y.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Will it work? Ya, will it do anything but make it louder? No, not realy. Buy. or build a good Ypipe, add a nice high flow cat, and a muffler of your chosing, and you will see a increases of power, AND it will sound better!

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
I had the stock exhaust with the 2 cats on an 302 pu, from the 2nd cat back was about a 3" straight pipe with a half a$$ turn down. It was loud at WOT, but not good loud...just loud. It kinda chuged when it was idling...not to bad though...I wouldn't recomend it. HOWEVER, if you want it to sound like a drag car, take the o2 sensor out, or drill a hole in the y pipe. Itll be loud enough that way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The muffler on my 86 FSB rusted out so I replaced it with a straight pipe. Made it only a very small bit louder and not bad sounding at all. Did'nt feel any more power though.
clint

·
Registered
408 Posts
i cut off the second cat, put on a 3", 12" long glasspack and added a $25 fake flowmaster 10 muffler, and it sounds good. it isn't loud just driving around, but if you get on it, it is loud outside the truck. it isn't like running flowmasters with no cats and turndowns, but it does sound nice. i am running the cheap 3" pipe for the tailpipe.

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
right now i have the stock set up. cat to cat to muffler to pipes

i was wondering if i could just cut off the muffler and last cat. and still have one cat left. and run straight pipes to the back and it would work fine. would it have a good sound. would i have enough back pressure
I don't think it will sound any different, unless that second cat was clogged but it can be done. I would consider replacing the "Y" pipe and first cat with a mandrel bent one as some members have said and that will give a boost in power and sound especially if ya add a nice muffler and some 4"chrome tips. But it all depends on what kind of budget your on. Sixlitre has a thread on this I believe with part numbers. -Bob

·
Registered
553 Posts
My personal likes are the deep powerful tones. With straight pipes I really hate the high sounding pops at the higher RPMs..but thats just me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts