Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's starts and runs good, I have a 1980 Ford Bronco 4x4 With 351 5.8 liter.
It runs good going 65 mph down the highway, then all the sudden it backfires pretty loud and motor just dies. So I pull over to the side of the road for about 10 to 15 mins. And it starts and makes it about 5 to 6 miles down the road running awsome and it backfires and to the side of the road again. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate It cause I'm stumped. Does anyone have any Ideas please???

Mechanically brain farted about this!!!????

·
my bko ate my money
2,326 Posts
is it overheating or anything, give us a better discription of what all is happenin, have you checked the simple things?

sounds like it could need a carb rebuild or you got some ignition probs like your module in the dizzy, im leanin more towards ignition

·
Registered
605 Posts
It runs good going 65 mph down the highway, then all the sudden it backfires pretty loud and motor just dies. So I pull over to the side of the road for about 10 to 15 mins. And it starts and makes it about 5 to 6 miles down the road running awsome and it backfires and to the side of the road again. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate It cause I'm stumped. Does anyone have any Ideas please???

is it backfiring out the exhaust or is it a carb backfire?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,803 Posts
It runs good going 65 mph down the highway, then all the sudden it backfires pretty loud and motor just dies. So I pull over to the side of the road for about 10 to 15 mins. And it starts and makes it about 5 to 6 miles down the road running awsome and it backfires and to the side of the road again.
That sounds like it could be a clogged fuel filter. When they're almost done, sometimes you'll get that runforawhilethenshutdown&runagainafterafewminutes behavior. It'll usually get worse, happening at slower speeds. The lean condition as it runs out of gas might cause the backfire.

You could change the filter & see if it helps (Not a bad idea anyway if you've never changed it before).

Another approach would be, with the key off, after it cuts out, to move the throttle open & look in the carb to see if fuel squirts while the throttle is opening.

Easier still would be to carry a can of starter fluid, & when it acts up, spray a little in the carb, then crank the engine. If it fires momentarily, you will know that it's running on the starter fluid only, & there's a fuel related problem. If it doesn't fire, you'll know to look for other causes, probably ignition next.

·
Registered
242 Posts
also remember if its a carb backfire on a holley carb that it normaly takes out the power valve

·
Registered
383 Posts

Is the catalytic converter clogged? I had an '81 a long time ago that had similar issues, when fired up it would run fine and around town it worked OK but out on the highway the cat would get red hot and stall the engine.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sounds like the fuel filter. The filters on those, IIRC, are the small ones that screw into the carburetor. Given the 10-15 mins wait and then running only 5-6 miles before shutting down again sounds about right for that size. Yeah, it could also be the ignition. It probably has the old Duraspark ignition. If it was indeed that, only buy high-quality replacement parts. I've had bad luck with cheap ignition parts.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
You already started the exact same topic on this... why don't you try reading the other one?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not to sure but I had similar problems with my cat being clogged on my old beater 93 bronco I had before I parted it out but once it warmed up it backfired sputterd like it was misfiring once I took that second cat of It ran fine

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,285 Posts
Could be the Ignition module it's the aluminum box that says duraspark on it on the driverside inner fender. I have seen those Durasparks fail in some real quirky ways i had one that wouldn't let the motor rev above 2400rpm I would have swore it was not getting enough fuel and checked nine different ways for fuel plugged in a new ignition box and it ran like a top. Check the fuel if you have a clear fuel filter in line you can usually verifiy the fuel easy.

·
Ford Hoarder
I own a bunch of Broncos 10 or so . Lol
1,500 Posts
The problem was or is the pick up coil or brain box aka Ignition Module . In them symptoms on 1976- 1986 fords . Incase there's a newbie that finds this again .

It happens because one of the two gets hot and shuts off . Then cools enought to work .

Easy test is to see if the brain box on the fender is hot feel it to see . If so there's ya problem .
If not its the pick up coil in the distributer .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.