Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My 96 F-150 w/ a 4.9 sometimes doesn't seem to want to crank. I don't know if it's the weather but everytime it turns cold one of my trucks takes a dump. It'll crank fine 2 or 3 times and then the next time it acts like the battery is almost dead or something. It struggles and I'll stop, wait a few seconds and try again. Does this sound like the battery or starter or what? :banghead

·
Registered
214 Posts
First, how old is the battery?

Second, when did you last clean and inspect the battery terminals and cables?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The terminals are fine but the battery has been in there since I bought the truck a year ago. It says "Autocraft". sounds pretty shitty to me

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well most batteries turn crapped out when they get cold. That's the one time you can tell if your battery will stay charged is when it's cold.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. It was my battery dying. Got a new Interstate now. WOO WEE

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had that problem as well

I had the same problem with my 88. I relaced the battery with an Optima red top ( yes its a bit more expensive but its worth it all around and the warentee they have is great ) and I installed a High torque starter and havent had the problem since. from what i hear from my friend at the 4x4 shop most mid 80's to eairly 90's ford's have those problem eventually

1 - 7 of 7 Posts