Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this just started happening to my radio yesterday. I lost all the presets on it. But, if I take it to work and come back say 10 hours later, it's still there. I leave it parked overnight and get back in 10-12 hours later, my radio is like I just installed it. It's not a factory unit, it's a cheap Dual brand unit.

As for my electrical system I did just replace the negative ground cable a couple of weeks ago. I had a problem with erratic starting and found the terminal was cracked. I re grounded the terminal to the body close to the starter solenoid but was unable to reground it to the frame like the original because I didn't have another clamp like was on the factory unit. The truck starts fine every time I turn the key now and so far have not had any issues with it since. This is completely new. The radio has been in there for nearly 1 year and this only started happening yesterday.

Any Idea? Other than buying a better radio. That'll come in time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my guess would be the constant power to the radio is loose. there is two powers one for the full power and one even when the vehicle is off to keep presets and the radio. since it is an aftermarket radio, most likely all the wires are spliced together to use connector adapter kit for the new radio. or that ground could have something to do with it, maybe its loose and the radio looses ground for a second. all it would take is a half of a second of no power to reset the presets and clock. did you also change the positive terminal?

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look into the wiring harness and check it out this weekend. I've got it plugged in with the factory harness. I was surprised when I installed it that the factory wires unplugged from the main harness and was even labeled as to what wires powered what function.

·
Super Moderator
26,328 Posts
yo J!
da light green wire with a purple stripe LG/P is for the radio's memory and is 12 DC; ck conn, fuse... if no-go used cigar light; tap into it.
Y/Black is da 12 Power

see this:
Color Codes & Connector Pinouts for 87-96
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net
Here it is;

Wire Color Code Abbreviation Chart; see post #4; BK Black, BL Blue, BR Brown, DB Dark Blue, DG Dark Green, GN Green, GY Grey, LB Light Blue, LG Light Green, N Natural, O Orange, P Purple, PK Pink, R Red, T Tan, V Violet, W White, Y Yellow
Source: by Ford via miesk5

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm beginning to think it might actually be the radio itself. Today I was running through checking for codes and after that reset the system by taking the negative cable off for awhile. When I got back in about an hour or so later, the radio refused to read the factory print CD that had been in there for months. It would try to load it, then eject and repeat. It's just a relatively cheap Dual Brand unit that I ordered through a parts catalog since it had a blue tooth option for hands free.

Miesk, Thanks for the printout. When I installed the radio I was surprised that the factory harness was still on the radio that had been installed prior by my Brother in Law after the factory unit crapped out. If I remember, it was the C258 plug because I liked how they had each wire marked on the cover as to what it went to with the factory harness. Easy 5 minute match up and then take it back out to the truck to plug in.

·
Super Moderator
26,328 Posts
yo John,
Yw and thanks to Ford and Steve for having that info available.

Put your multimeter in there on DC volts above say, 20 volt range or auto ranging if a diggie meter.
I use wife's straight pins with large plastic ballz on da end (lol, she smacks me when I describe that to pals) to back-probe a connector while it's still attached to a device like a radio...
then clip mm leads onto the pin and a good ground,,,
see if it's a steady 12 v...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts