Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed it when I was buttoning up my passenger side door. Starting from the beginning, I've recentely replaced my rear window motor, and my passenger window motor.

I was testing the passenger side window. I had the ignition on, and I got nothing from the passenger side window control. I imediately thought the switch was bad...Ive found a few recentely. Then I tried the door lock switch, on the same side...Nothing there either. I went over to the driver's side, and tried all three switches...Still nothing. Then out of frustration, I started rocking the driver's side door lock switch back and forth, and it started to work:shrug.

After that, all the switches worked just fine.

Yesterday, when I was driving to work, I tried to roll down the passenger side window, from the driver's side panel...Nothing. I rocked it back and forth, and it started to work.

What would cause all the switches to stop working, and then work just fine after rocking them back and forth a few times?

I'm electrically stupid, so I have no clue where to even start.

Thanks in advance:beer

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve83 said:
It's the driver's switch contacts burning out. It gets used more, and even the passenger side uses the driver's switch for ground. So if the driver's switch isn't working right, the passenger switch won't. Fortunately for you, it's easy to find replacements in the junkyard. I have a handful, if you can't find any.

So, I'm just better off swapping out all 3 switches on the d-side?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
i had that problem with my driver side window. i cleaned the switches and it still did it. i had to take out the motor, take it apart, and clean it out. once i did that with the motor i have not had any problems.

edit: ok i am an idiot. i read to quick and didn't notice that you had problems with the locks also. it probably is just dirty contacts on the switch.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Check the ground for the power windows and the power door locks(it is the same ground and is located on the drivers door behind the inner door panel)This ground relies on grounding from the door through the hinges and latch to
the body.Remove the door panel and check the ground wire for corrosion or looseness at the ground screw and repair as necessary.When the locks and windows aren't working run a temporary ground wire from the door to the body and see if the locks and windows now work.If so,then run a new wire from the ground screw on the door through the rubber boot to the body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts