Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '92 Bronco and yesterday while I was riding some back roads, I hit a bad bump, no worse than what I've hit before, but this time it made a funny noise.
Now whenever I decelerate, and only when I'm decelerating from above ~15 mph WITHOUT pressing the gas pedal, there is a grinding noise from under the truck.
I couldn't see anything loose or wrong under the truck or hood.
The strange thing is that it ONLY happens when I remove my foot completely from the gas pedal. If I give it even just a little bit of gas, even if I'm still decelerating it stops making the noise.
Putting it in neutral while decelerating doesn't fix it and neither does putting it in 4wd.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
what kind of noise?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I second that - this is exactly what happened when my double carden joint went bad. No problems under acceleration, but vibration when coasting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
similar problem

I have the same problem now. Mine is between 55 and 45 on decel only. About the time the tranny drops down to a lower gear. Doesn't do it durring aceleration or turns. feels like running over a rummbel strip sort of. Unable to hear any noise yet. May also be when truck has warmed up(not sure yet still trying to pinpoint time it does it.)I can hold the transfer case shifter and can not feel the vibration. Vibration seem to be right about the gas pedal. Not bad enough to be felt on passenger side (yet). Ujoints appear to be in good shape, No real bad play in the front or the rear. Vibration seems to be comming from the front portion of the drive train. I had the tires rebalanced. Fluids look good in front dif and transfercase. Hubs are manual lock style and I checked to make sure they were in unlock postion. Tested tourque converter stall still seems to be at 2000 rpm. It appears to be getting worse. I1 thing I did notice that the trans mount may be bad. Looks good but I do not like the play in the trany when you grab drive line or the tailshaft. The ujoint is not moving its tight. the whole tranny seems to be.( and yes the crossmember is tight) It is slight but will replace it just in case. Been on mutiple sites with this problem but almost all are on acceleration. Any ideas?

1990 eddie bauer
302 aod trans

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
as said. the driveline, or a slight possibility of the pinion nut.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I changed the trans mount. Pain in ass the dumb idiot who owned the rig before me had let the exhaust hang without hangers. So the pipe is distorted and has been smashed by the trans. Had a hard time getting it out of the way to lift tranny old hanger was caught on the tranny. (now have to fix the big ass exhuast leak IF ever find who did this exhaust I'm going to kill them)The problem has gotten sort of better. It now is only from 47-44 on decel. But the vibration has increased some what. Sounds like a disiel trucks air brake. I have checked the front and rear u-joints for the hundreth time. Sighn, still good. Thinking of changing them for the hell of it. Pinion nut seems tight fluids in both axles, trans, transfer case, poper levels and look clean. On advice of an old ford master tech. Put her in 4x4 high and ran here. Ran like a champ no problems with decel at all. Got a buddy with an 89 similar issue but his also on acel. Wondering if it is a vibration from exhaust. its right on the tranny and she has headers with stock y pipe. Which is an issue cause it dosen't spread out enough to properly fit headers. Is it possible?
:banghead
help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts