Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres how this went. I started the truck (1996 bronco 5.0) and drove it fine to work this morning. Left work after about 5 hours and it started fine again. I drove it home which is about 15 minutes away, and parked it for about 10 minutes before going out again. This is where the truck when i tried to start it, turned over but died very quickly... it just would put for a second and shut off. I tried starting it again a few times with no success. Tried pumping the gas, nothing was working. So i let it sit for about 20 minutes, and it started right up... once the truck is on there are no problems, idles fine and drives fine...

What could cause this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a few, but only for running lean... P0171, P0174, and P1000 (maybe after this more codes will pop up)

Also, another thing i noticed with the truck. I recently changed the gas tank, and i put about 12-14 gallons of gas in it, but the gas meter stats at empty... Itll go a little bit above the red mark, then back down. But i know im not about to run out of gas.

What could cause this?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Almost certainly a vacuum leak is causing your problem.

Tips for Checking for vacuum leaks.
Some of the sensors and some of the actuators either read the amount of vacuum, or use vacuum to move controls, therefore it is important to the proper functioning of the engine that your vacuum system is fully intact. Otherwise one may get codes falsely indicating that there is a problem with a controller/actuator, or a sensor when in reality it is caused by a lack of vacuum.

Look at your rubber vacuum hoses (they are about 1/4 - 3/8 inches in diameter, if they are dry rotted or cracked, replace them. IF they slip on/off of their connectors too easily, they may have stretched out a little bit, cut the ends off, and put them back on.

Courtesy Miesk5 BroncoZone.com. You may listen for a leak. Sometimes using a cut off piece of garden hose is a good aid to listen with. Sometimes a cardboard tube (like from gift wrapping paper) is helpful. Just remember that whenever you stick your head inside a running engine compartment, that you are not wearing any loose clothing or jewelry that can get caught.
For more info...
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/94-howto-how-locate-vacuum-leak.html#post423

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
TFI

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost certainly a vacuum leak is causing your problem.

Tips for Checking for vacuum leaks.
Some of the sensors and some of the actuators either read the amount of vacuum, or use vacuum to move controls, therefore it is important to the proper functioning of the engine that your vacuum system is fully intact. Otherwise one may get codes falsely indicating that there is a problem with a controller/actuator, or a sensor when in reality it is caused by a lack of vacuum.

Look at your rubber vacuum hoses (they are about 1/4 - 3/8 inches in diameter, if they are dry rotted or cracked, replace them. IF they slip on/off of their connectors too easily, they may have stretched out a little bit, cut the ends off, and put them back on.

Courtesy Miesk5 BroncoZone.com. You may listen for a leak. Sometimes using a cut off piece of garden hose is a good aid to listen with. Sometimes a cardboard tube (like from gift wrapping paper) is helpful. Just remember that whenever you stick your head inside a running engine compartment, that you are not wearing any loose clothing or jewelry that can get caught.
For more info...
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/94-howto-how-locate-vacuum-leak.html#post423
Thanks alot!

Could a vacuum leak here also be causing my vents to not work at all? Defrost, heat, ac, on any setting blows no air what so ever, and i cant figure it out.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Thanks alot!

Could a vacuum leak here also be causing my vents to not work at all? Defrost, heat, ac, on any setting blows no air what so ever, and i cant figure it out.
a vacuum leak could cause it not to go between floor dash and window vents. but no blowing sounds like a fan issue.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Thanks alot!

A vacuum leak would cause the vents to default to defrost.
According to this thread, your problem is that the blower fan is not turning on.

miesk5 gave you all the information you need.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201462

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is still happening. Drove it to work today fine. droe tothe grocery store fine, go to leave the grocery store, it putted for a secod then died. now i cant sart it again. im sure if i wait long enough itll start right up. i checked all vaccum lines and all seems connected and sturdy. and my OB system isnt ready yet still so i have no codes

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
TFI

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
yup. search it. There is countless threads explaining the exact same issues your having.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts