Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k so hear it goes i just had a new reman 400 put in over the winter and i was disapointed to find my starter and dist were loose i fixed that and set timing by ear but there is a ticking noise that happens under load it doesnt do it at idle sitting or moving only when gas is applied and it gets worse going up hill but as i said the thing was just installed and is a new reman (long block) but i would think the lifters, push rods and rockers would all be set but it may not and as far as the install i should have done it myself but i was working and tryed to help the guy out with work but so far i have not been impressed any help is appreciated guys thanxs

·
Registered
171 Posts
when i rebuilt my 429 i advanced the timing a bit too far and had the same problem. not so much a ticking as a clattering, at about 2500 rpm and up. bumped the dizzy down a tad and it was gone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you set the timing by ear. Do you thank it is possible it is too far advanced and is pinging when you get into it under load? Try backing off the timing a little or set it with a timing light.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i will have to try that now if i wanna turn it down its counter clock wise rite i turned it up yesterday alittle far and it seemed to hesitate while starting then turned it counter clock wise till it didnt start and then put it in between the two

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i rebuilt my 429 i advanced the timing a bit too far and had the same problem. not so much a ticking as a clattering, at about 2500 rpm and up. bumped the dizzy down a tad and it was gone.
this sounds like what it may be so i will try that

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another question does turning the dizzy a little make alot of a difference

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just tried it it seems to be better but didnt take it far will try it out tommorow to make sure

·
Registered
710 Posts
nevermind the mean statements made... some folks are just pissed at the world.

yes more than likely it's your timing, turning the distributor just a little bit makes a big difference.

Beg, borrow, or steal a timing light, you need it for this. It's ok to run your engine a little bit advanced on the timing, not too much or it'll cause bad bad things. Just a little bit of advance past where it's "supposed" to be will make your engine have more power and better fuel economy, the best of both worlds!!!

If it's ticking then it's too much! Make sure you are running regular gas in it when you set the timing, premium will not ping as quickly as regular does.

I set lots of engines by ear, mostly V.W. aircooled though, big V-8's you need a timing light for.

good luck man:thumbup

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
I love this, I timed my new 400 by ear because I am to cheap to use a timing light so I rather kill my new engine by making it rattle itself to death and prolly overheat it as well

get a timing light on this and do it right before you destroy your engine

:stupid

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Jake get a book Setting the timing and knowing how it works is very good to know, If your going to be wrenching on your own rig.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Could be an exhaust leak. Does it tick at all engine speeds? This is a dead giveaway....

Did you put gaskets between the exhaust manifolds and heads? If so, get them out of there. That is a machined surface, no gaskets needed.

Like these other guys say, get a timing light on that distributor or take it to a mechanic. Checking timing by ear is a practice that should have died with the model T.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love this, I timed my new 400 by ear because I am to cheap or stupid to use a timing light so I rather kill my new engine by making it rattle itself to death and prolly overheat it as well

get a timing light on this and do it right before you destroy your engine
no i timed it by ear because the guy i took it to to do the install was to lazy to do it right but if u read the post u might have seen that i never said i was a machanic but i know enough to know it wasnt right so i asked before it did blow up:goodfinge:goodfinge

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and no smart ass it didnt overheat i love these guys that think they are god on here wtf does it get u being an ass does it make u feel good about urself ur such a loser u hide behind a comp and run ur beaters about somthing u have prob done urself at one time

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could be an exhaust leak. Does it tick at all engine speeds? This is a dead giveaway....

Did you put gaskets between the exhaust manifolds and heads? If so, get them out of there. That is a machined surface, no gaskets needed.

Like these other guys say, get a timing light on that distributor or take it to a mechanic. Checking timing by ear is a practice that should have died with the model T.
it has headers and yes its got gaskets but im sure thats not what it is cause it doesnt do it unless your going up hills and accelerating more than normal

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
and no smart ass it didnt overheat i love these guys that think they are god on here wtf does it get u being an ass does it make u feel good about urself ur such a loser u hide behind a comp and run ur beaters about somthing u have prob done urself at one time
:histerica :rofl:

this is why I do what I do for the pure entertianment of the desperate responses a weak mind trys to brew up which boils down to using swear words :goodfinge

so you admit to not being a mechanic but think you have the ability to time it by ear? :doh0715:

I have only 22+ years twisting wrenches for a living I can time by ear and get it close and I still chose to use the timing light to get it right

as far as being god on here nope sorry no god powers on here just my knowledge to back me up on what I state

and as stated a number of times put a timing light on it and time it correctly before you barf the engine

yup yup just hide behind a computer and run around in my beaters yup yup but they are all timed correctly with a light and don't rattle going up a hill

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so you admit to not being a mechanic but think you have the ability to time it by ear? :doh0715:

ya well obviously i can cause after all the bs i did it by ear and then took it to a shop down the road had the guy put a light on it and it was a tad advanced and he said i should leave it there and ya i admit i never CLAIMED to be a mechanic i dont do it for a living but ive been wrenching on bikes cars and trucks for a while and i do know enough to know when my truck is or isnt running right

1 - 20 of 24 Posts