Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for everyone out there. My Bronco is making a wierd whining noise from ( I think ) the passenger side front tire (or that general area ). I know that the noise is not related to the engine, because it isn't there when I start the truck, and it won't whine until I get a little ways down the road.

I know it's not the steering, because that is an entirely different whine. Brakes were checked recently, so I don't think that is the issue either.

I smell nothing burning, and there is no funny smoke or dust coming from that area. I have had this truck since 98, and pretty much know every hum, clunk, tick and what have you there is with it, but this one is really throwing me for a loop.

Anyone have and ideas, hints, or theories? I'd take heresay, wild conjecture and a wild a$$ guess at this point!

Also, has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:rofl:

That was the funniest answers to that question...

Anyway, I don't think the hub is locked, but I'll check anyway.

Could be the bearings, which means it can wait until I get my new house with an actual garage and I pull the whole truck apart...

How could it be the alternator?

·
Registered
447 Posts
A little more info, please. Does the truck need to be warmed up to hear the noise and is it speed related?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
have you checked your gear fluid lately? my buddy just blew his diff up by not having any fluid. The whine would also get louder as you deaccelerate if this is the case. good luck.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More info... let's see...

It does not need time to warm up per se. I'm not sitting at the curb for a few minutes, if that's what you mean. What happens is I start the truck, get about... 1/4 mile down the road, and the whine begins. At speeds below, say 10 or 15 mph, the whine stops. Above that, it starts, gradually builds from a whine to a high-pitch tone. As I slow down, the sound reverses itself. At speed on the highway, its there, though hard to actually hear (the truck sort of drowns itself out).

I can only say for certain that it is coming from the front passenger side wheel area. I can't hear it on the driver's, and if it were in the middle of the truck, I would think I would hear it equally on either side, but I don't.

Not sure what else to say. The suspension and all is stock. Could there be some sort of rust or something in the hub? But if there was, after driving a while wouldn't the movement of the wheel scrape away the existing rust?

Should I just break down and take it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
You don't need to pull the whole truck apart to check out your front wheel bearings. Just pull the hubs out and shine a light in there.

If they're all rusty and nasty, you better get them worked on quick before you have some dangerous trouble.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
You don't need to pull the whole truck apart to check out your front wheel bearings. Just pull the hubs out and shine a light in there.

If they're all rusty and nasty, you better get them worked on quick before you have some dangerous trouble.
That will just let you know how the outer bearing is doing.

When is the last time the bearings (inner, outer and needle) were greased?

Have you tried to put the tranny in nuetral when the noise starts to see if the change in RPM has any effect at all. Try this while accelerating and decellerating to get a clear idea of what is going on.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Only when my wife is riding shotgun!
:whiteflag
:doh0715: Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to say that this sounds like problem I had with an ex-GF. Notice I said "had" and "ex." :D

I would pull the wheel off, then pop the caliper, then remove the hub lock and spindle nut so you can pull the hub & rotor assembly off. I agree with the Canuckian: you really need to get in there and see what the bearings, races, and seals look like.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue... literally... made a thread a couple days ago on it. I checked all my fluids and stuff and we're checking bearings tommorow. Maybe that'll fix both our problems

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
That will just let you know how the outer bearing is doing.
True, but it'll generally give you an idea of what's going on. Yeah it's possible the outer could be fine, but the spindle seal could be trashed and only the inner bearing is trashed... either way, it's a quick look at what's going on, and only takes a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Just bought a 96 EB and I'm hearing the same whine from the front end. It showed up after I had work done at a local shop. I only hear it at speeds above 20 mph. No change in noise with RPM or higher speed.

Things fixed:

-new rims/tires (A/T so not as loud as previous M/T)
-new front brakes/rotors (also fixed a caliper that was missing a lower bolt)
-black ICM to replace grey one that was causing codes
-cleaned MAP
-oil/lube/filters

Old thread here, but I didn't see a resolution. Hoping to get some help or things to have checked out.:whiteflag

1 - 15 of 15 Posts