Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Right now im gonna do the motor build up but im interested in some opinions.Im gonna keep the 8.8 and swap the front end,trans,trasfercase.Im planning on converting it with a 2wd f-150 ttb.What do yous think should i do a fullsize and use a 302 with alot of mods done to the motor or put it in a ford ranger/unibody mustang.Help me out.Also is there anyone who has done this type of project?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
If you want to race it go with the smaller choice like the Ranger. The Bronco is very heavy and converting to 2wd isn't gonna change that. If you decide to do it to the Bronco then you should think about building a 351W, that 302 just isn't gonna make you happy in something that big no matter what you do to it. Keep the Bronco 4wd so you can still have 4wd fun too.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
:stupid converting it to 2wd isn't going to save that much weight, and build at least a 351, if you wanna go really fast, EFI 460......built.

how much can all the 4x4 stuff weigh? maybe 400-500 lbs tops? you could build more power to over-come that weight, still have your 4x4 to have fun, and still have the power if ya need it on or off road.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
the 302 is a good engine than has the potential to make shit loads of power at screaming high RPM's. Some people like it that way, some like it on the lower end better. I prefer to have the power higher up like the 302 does.

It would be kinda cool to have a 2 wheel drive Bronco lowered down a few inches. Nothing too exotic where its draggin frame, but like 3" lower with some blingy wheels would be cool. ........One of a kind, thats for sure

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that a 302 doesnt put out alot of power but if i fully build this motor do some modifications to the bronco im sure i can drop some weight.I wanna put some wide crager tires in the back and all.If i build this 302 i wanna put a 347 stroker in it.But if you guys say i should go with a 460 maybe its a better idea.Would be one hell of an insane truck then id say.:rockon

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
1990bronco said:
I know that a 302 doesnt put out alot of power but if i fully build this motor do some modifications to the bronco im sure i can drop some weight.I wanna put some wide crager tires in the back and all.If i build this 302 i wanna put a 347 stroker in it.But if you guys say i should go with a 460 maybe its a better idea.Would be one hell of an insane truck then id say.:rockon

i put a 302ho in mine and i can tell the difference. when i get to where that is a strict project truck i am going to put a 460 in it. then it will be a mean machine

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
converting it wouldnt change how heavy it is but it depends how much i get into it cause i might say tube front end swap

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
There's a bunch of 302 Mustang guys that would strongly disagree that you can't make power with the 5.0.

Like Mike said, it's all about where you want the power band to be. In a 4x4, you want it way down low, but in a street application, who cares about gobs of low end torque?

That said, the 351 is a very easy swap, and mod-for-mod, you'll get more power from it. If you're starting from scratch, anyway, it's a no-brainer to ditch the 302 block and go to a 351. You don't have anything to lose at this point except maybe a couple hours time to get it stripped down to the block.

I'd stay with the Bronco and swap in a 2wd f-150 front end, just for the cool factor. Rangers don't really look good lowered and streeted out, but full-size bodied Ford trucks DO. I've seen a couple Broncos done up this way, and they are very, very cool looking.

Fox-bodied Mustangs are a dima-a-dozen, and it's all been done. Go for something that is truly unique. You won't regret it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts