Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stripped lockout bolt ***FIXED***

I was changing my lockouts today & on the passenger side i stripped a allen- bolt. there were two others also but not as bad,i used a torx bit & got them out, but this one is really rounded out. any suggestions?

We got 8-10 inchs of snow last night & when my old lady went to go get some groceries she got stuck in the driveway, i taught her how to lock the hubs, then put into 4 hi, but failed to tell her to let it engage before shit canning it. well, i heard a horrendous grinding then a loud clunk. :cry when she got back i thought i should check it.turns out the free spining gear that meshes with the other to engage it was just hanging there with a bunch of shavings inside the hub.

·
Registered
307 Posts
drill the head off and slide the hub out and then you can just turn it with some pliers

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Drill it out,its actually very easy because the hole centers the bit. You only need a 1/8" (maybe slightly bigger) bit too because you only need to drill the head off, not completly out. Once the head comes off pull the lockout out

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
DakotaBronco84 said:
drill the head off and slide the hub out and then you can just turn it with some pliers
GOod one:thumbup

You can also use an easy out that is about as big as the head, but thats a PITA

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to go & try to drill it out. probably the only way to get it off. I tried everything i had to get in there and back it out but nothing worked.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
DakotaBronco84 said:
This is the best course of action at this point.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drilled the head out,pulled the hub off,backed screw out with a pliers. I already have the new lockout on. easy as that :thumbup why i didn't think of that? i don't know.:banghead Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts