Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I overtightened my oil filter by accident and now when I go to take it off it just rotates and is too loose to hold pressure. Will not retighten. I’ve searched remedies but nothing coming up on how to get it off. Vehicle is 95 5.8 with factory oil cooler the filter screws into. Suggestions Please?

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,517 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is to get a new lower rad hose with no oil cooler fittings and remove the oil cooler if you can. I don’t know if you can with the filter on though. If there’s a way for you to sort of pull and twist the filter at the same time maybe try that. I would assume it’s the filter threads that are stripped and not the cooler.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,601 Posts
Only had to deal with this one time on a buddies rig (Chevy) excuse me foul language... we ended up cutting the filter housing real close to the collar then hat to slowly cut everything back to get at the threads ended up having to pry and twist with channel locks, he stripped the casing to the collar so if we would have grabbed the collar alone we might have been able to remove it. Check the outer ring as you turn and see if it’s the shell spinning inside the collar, if it is turn the collar.... not sure how accessible yours is though.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So this morning I got back at it one more time. The filter was turning but not engaging threads on the spindle to come off. I drilled a half inch hole thru the can and snipped it off to the collar. I have the oil cooler option. I took off the stud loosening the cooler. Didn’t drain the radiator/take off hoses. Sure enough the stud was stripped at the bottom 2 threads. Had to dremel off the collar and chased the threads on the filter stud. 22 mm 1.5. Put everything together and done. Worse oil change f up ever. Lesson learned don’t overtighten the filter. Don’t be like me and f up an oil change. Hanging the hacked up filter collar in the garage as a reminder. Grandson was saying yesterday ‘oh no, big bronco broken’.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,470 Posts
What a PITA! Glad you were able to get it off there. Now go have a cold one!

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,601 Posts
Now that you beat it, I’ll just say fir oil filters, hand tight then 1/4 turn and don’t forget to put fresh oil on the rubber seal with your finger tip before putting it on. I have never had one leak and don’t use a filter wrench to install or remove. Although I do have large hands and I strong grip.

·
Joisey don't smell funny
1,172 Posts
My dad told me very sternly about tightening oil filters when I was a teen wrenching on my 1st car... never forgot it. Some things stick with you. Bet this will now with you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts