Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I have a 1991 Bronco with a 302. I'm trying to check the fluid in the transfer case but the plug is stripped and I am unsure of how to remove it. My only idea is to JB weld a extension in there and try to get it out, it is seated to far in to remove with vice grips. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I had the same problem with mine; apparently it's a pretty common issue. I used a hammer and chisel to force the plug to turn. It pretty well destroys the plug, but if it's stripped you'll be replacing it anyway. Penetrating oil and a torch also won't hurt.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
If all else fails, worst case you could drill a hole through it and pound an easy-out in to it. Of course you'll need to be careful with getting filings in to the case though.
And don't mess with those aluminum plugs when you get a new one. Just go to the hardware store and get a steel pipe plug with the external square drive on it and put some thread sealer on it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
a lot of people over-tighten those plugs.....which is unneccesary.just snug them up when you get a new one.
Can u hammer a 3/8 extension in? I thought mine was stripped out but it worked for me.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If all else fails, worst case you could drill a hole through it and pound an easy-out in to it. Of course you'll need to be careful with getting filings in to the case though.
And don't mess with those aluminum plugs when you get a new one. Just go to the hardware store and get a steel pipe plug with the external square drive on it and put some thread sealer on it.
That's what I did to mine. It was the bottom drain plug so I wasn't too worried about filing. The ATF flush everything out when it wad done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
One of mine stripped too. I hammered a chisel in there and then spun it out with a wrench, about a 1/2 inch chisel went corner to corner with mild persuasion from the hammer and got a very good grip. There is a brass plug in there now but that was what I had in the tool box. My thought was that the brass would be less likely to gall the treads in the case.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
get yourself a tap and die set.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
AH94, The torque values of the drain and fill plugs are 14 to 22 ft.lbs. -or- 19 to 30 n.m

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
A tap and die set will do nothing to get the stripped plug out.

The square hole is actually 10mm but people use 3/8" extensions because it's close enough but end up stripping the plug because 3/8" is slightly smaller than 10mm.

Use a large screw extractor and it should come right out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts