Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. So I have my 351 in the bronco.. Since it's becoming an off road only toy I want to strip everything I don't need on it... I'm talking about everything.. Every single wire not needed. Stuff like the AC pump wiring and what not... Also all the smog stuff needs to come off as well..

I want the bare minimum to keep it running with EFI..

I know there are plenty of people out there that say to leave everything on there and what not, I do not want to and though I value your opinion, comments about it are not needed..

So basically if everyone can help me decide what needs to stay to just basically run the motor I'd appreciate it..

For example. I know I'm going to taking out the wiring for the AC and getting an EGR eliminator in the harness.

Also vacuum lines.. I guess I won't know until I pull everything out.. I know I need 1 for the brake booster and 1 goes to the MAP sensor.. Everything else seems to go to the smog stuff..

I'll be pulling the engine this weekend to do a Rear main seal and a body swap so it would be the perfect time to do what needs to be done.. (I know I need to buy an EGR block off plate and a tube delete bolt, but with more people thinking about it then just myself I'd appreciate it.

Anyhow.. thanks all

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mental note.. Need to either move the Inertia switch or eliminate it..

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
I did it with my EFI 460. Left all the sensors plugged in, capped off the vac lines (except for FP regulator, MAP sensor, C6 and brake booster), capped off the EGR valve, pulled all the smog stuff off, all the AC stuff. Still ran just fine.

The only EFI/wiring stuff is on top of the engine. The engine bay sides were greatly cleared out to the point where I was able to cut the fenders a bunch and had easy access to the headers and plugs.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
holy big picture batman!

Seriously though.. That's awesome.. So you left the sensors plugged in? I'm really thinking of removing them and doing whatever I have to do to make the computer think they are still there.. (usually it's just a resistor..)

I want to clean it up as much as I possibly can and do away with everything not needed..

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
holy big picture batman!

Seriously though.. That's awesome.. So you left the sensors plugged in? I'm really thinking of removing them and doing whatever I have to do to make the computer think they are still there.. (usually it's just a resistor..)

I want to clean it up as much as I possibly can and do away with everything not needed..
There's a reason for most of the sensors, i'd be inclined to leave them there, rather than remove them and "Trick" the computer using a resistor, diode, etc... even if it isn't smog stuff, it still helps the computer set timing advance, mixture, etc.. even that sensor in the power steering line has a purpose (raises idle on steering pressure) which is very beneficial for off-road use.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You will need various vacuum in order to operate the brakes, Fuel pressure regulator, and a few other things.
Messing with the computer could have an adverse effect on your transmission and your 4X4 system depending on what you are running.
If I remember correctly, the E4OD is controled, indirectly, by the CPU as well as the push button 4X4.
You need power steering, altanator, and water pump. You could tear out the fan and run eletric and then hunt around for the correct size belt once you yank out the smog and AC.
As far as eletricial components, you have a pretty good size wiring harnass for the lights and horn. That could all go.
All the power stuff for the AC can go away also.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankfully I have a C6 and a manual T-case so nothing needed from the ECU for that..
AC is there but will be removed.. (It was never filled with freon when we did the motor swap..
I may ditch the fan for an electric fan setup depending how the radiator sits in the F250 engine bay
Belt wise it'll be the crank, altenator, power steering and waterpump.. Everything else will come off..
I'll be keeping the lights horns and turn signals.

Also I believe i'll be moving my harness from the Bronco to the F250 and just removing all the wires I don't need.. I'm pretty sure my 87 harness should be in better condition then a 69 harness. =)

This is a world of help guys.. It's helping me think of things I wouldn't have before..

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Why not do a mustang EFI harnes over the F250 truck harnes. The Mustang harnes is already seperated from the mustang harnes. All that would be left would be to eliminate the smog stuff.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott.. I never realized you posted this. I've been thinking of doing the mustang harness that way I can hook up my Mas air sensor and make the engine run better..

So I'm thinking of possibly keeping the EGR stuff, but still removing the smog pump stuff and vacuum lines.. Hmm the more I read the more in trouble I'm gunna get..

That and I realized I only have 1 O2 sensor hooked up but in the y-pipe it has 2 sensors.. :banghead

I'm glad the engine is out of the bronco. I can pull it up and look at it head on and make sure everything is hooked up instead of trying to do it while it's in the vehicle.

EDIT:

From Fireguy's site...

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=26

Harness includes Sequential Fuel Injector Harness with Mass Air, and Left O2 connectors. This kit gives you the ability to use the Computer and MAF sensor of your choice:
Hmm.. looking better and better every day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts