Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future I am installed Black aftermarket wheels, but the centercaps are Chrome, I already got the black lug nuts, but the caps aren't available in black. I need to figure out an inexpensive way wo either remove the chrome, or ruff it up to the point that black paint will stick to it. I already have some high heat caliper paint for the project. From what I have read, certain acids, combined with low voltage will strip chrome, but I am no chemist. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
elmotho said:
Where did you find black lugs? That's cool! I'm thinking of having my factory center caps powdercoated.
Sorry the lug nuts are Gorrilla part Number 91187BCB is a bag of 4 nuts, cost me around $1 per lug. I should have included that information

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the duplicolor adhesion promoter, but it doesnt mention anything about Chrome, I tried a wire bruch on a bench grinder and didnt make a scratch. I will try the 200 grit paper, and the adhesion promoter. thanks for the imput, as usually when it is done there will be pictures

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Accessory Man said:
I have the duplicolor adhesion promoter, but it doesnt mention anything about Chrome, I tried a wire bruch on a bench grinder and didnt make a scratch. I will try the 200 grit paper, and the adhesion promoter. thanks for the imput, as usually when it is done there will be pictures
Like I said try a body Shop supply store...They prob have better stuff

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,022 Posts
Accessory Man said:
If you can get em out my way we can throw em in the sandblasting cabinet and see what itll do to the chrome :toothless

·
Registered
59 Posts
my old man sandblasts for a living and i have worked for him for many years and if its good quality chrome not even blasting it with black beauty and 350 cfm at like 300 psi will make a scratch in it, i suggest finding some sort of chemical way if its quality chrome, but i doubt after market center caps will be, i have found the only good quality chrome is from the factory on any vehicle, most aftermarket chrome is crap and i can get off in my little cabinet. good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts