Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a few searches for the topic (in our section only) and came up with nothing. I hope I'm not rehashing an old subject. I've been in CA for a year now and previously lived in Phoenix, where emission laws are a little more relaxed than CA. I have a tired 89 Bronc EB 5.8L and I am looking to pep up the ol' girl with a rebuilt engine. I have tax returns on the way and am seriously considering a rebuild (So I hope I'm not wasting everyone's time by being a "dreamer").
I'm kicking around the idea of basing my engine off a stroked 351 short block with Intake Manifold, Performer EFI and Edelbrock Performer Cylinder Heads :rockon. What CA specific issues will I run into? I.E. am I asking for headaches getting it emissioned? Will a good set of catalytic converters do the trick? I may just go the next size up on my bore if I can't use her on the road. But the idea of having a stroker is really really appealing to me.
Side note - I know the tranny, gears, etc.. need to be beefed up. I'm looking for what CA member's experiences have been with a stroked motor?
Thanks for your time! :beer

JD
aka Gretna1970

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I'm no expert, but to avoid the runaround you will want to keep it as stock looking as possible. You should be able to get away with a stroker, and maybe the heads, but the EFI system will most liklel raise a flag. The best bet in my opinion would be to stick to the "Leagle in California parts" and when you get those make sure they have a CARB number, and keep a record of them as well as placing the sticker that comes with the parts in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1991 351W E4OD
866 Posts
I am building a 393 stroker right now and am almost done. Haven't had it smogged yet 'cause I'm not done with it.

What I have learned is that you need CARB (California Air Resource Board) #s for any aftermarket parts that you buy that way when you get it smogged you can show them to the smog tech to prove they are CA legal. And make sure you put back all the original smog equipment when you reinstall the motor. The engine may run fine to pass the sniffer but if the smog tech notices any of the original smog equipment that is missing or has been tampered with then they will fail you.

One of the things that I haven't figured out yet is about the catalytic converters. It is said that you need the two of them on there to pass the visual inspection part of the smog. However, nowadays a high flow TWC (three way converter) will do the job of the original two making it only necessary to buy one new cat. Alot of people have said that they passed the test fine with just the one cat, but I guess it depends on your area and if they will even notice. I am going to try with just one cat 'cause I really don't think that it will be noticed where I live.

You can check out my thread in my signature to give you some ideas, and also check over at NLOC (National Lightning Owners Club) 'cause all they do is build strokers. That is where I got alot of my information from.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Great info. I just got back from a local engine builder and he told me to get a 1993 or newer block so we can use rollers. I'm checking into that now as well as the link provided by tmwalmart (thx). I did a quick search on summit for 351 blocks :shocked and quickly ruled that option out. I'll be spending some time in the junk yards this weekend.:popc1:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks toykeeper. I think I SHOULD be safe with the EFI, it states its "50 state legal". I want to get as much torque as I can and I heard a lot of good things about the system from members on the board, but I do agree; I will be putting on all my emission stuff back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts