Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I searched and there isn't anything I could find specifically on this issue...

So I got a Skyjacker leveling kit with bigger coils and new shocks.

We jacked her up and slid jackstands in. Took the wheel off, undid the top bolts on the old shocks (new ones haven't arrived yet). I undid the top tab on the coil, then slowly let her down so the TTB was just hanging. Everything I've read said the coil should come right out. Wrong. Sucker is IN there with no play and I'm not about to leverage it out. Not only that but given the difference in coil size (I estimate a good 2 inches when I put the new coil next to the one stilll in there), I can't believe I'll be able to get the new one in there.

Thoughts? Tricks? Do I need to buy a coil compressor?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your swaybar still attached, or are the jackstands under the axle or radius arm?
Swaybar is still attached. Should I detach? Jackstands are on the frame.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Is your brake line acting like a limit strap? I had to pull my calipers to get the beam to drop far enough to put new coils in my '86.

Justin

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack the frame up enough to allow FUUUULLLLL droop on the TTB, and stand on the hub if you have to. Eventually, the spring should unload & fall out.

If you're worried about cutting your radius arm bushings (they're designed to limit droop), then you'll basically have to remove the front axle or buy a compressor. Portable coil compressors are inherently dangerous - there's only 1 safe design on the market, and it's ~$600 if you can find it. All the others tend to slip sideways on the coils & shoot off at lightning speed. Use a short but LOOSE strap tied between the compressors to catch them.

The frame was high enough that the TTB was definitely and postively free to droop. I was hesitant...if I stand on it, there's no chance of the spring flying out?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is your brake line acting like a limit strap? I had to pull my calipers to get the beam to drop far enough to put new coils in my '86.

Justin
Negative, but thanks...checked them and there's ample slack.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take at least 1 end of the sway bar loose; both would be better. If you're worried about the spring flying, put a ratchet strap on it so that it can still move, but it can't fly more than a few inches.
Thanks...I'll try this tomorrow.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got 'em off, no problem. It was the sway bar, indeed. Simply unbolted both ends (had to take front shocks off first), and the coils fell right out. New ones are in and the FSB looks SWEEEEEET. Pics tomorrow. Thanks again, dudes. :rockon

·
Registered
242 Posts
Got 'em off, no problem. It was the sway bar, indeed. Simply unbolted both ends (had to take front shocks off first), and the coils fell right out. New ones are in and the FSB looks SWEEEEEET. Pics tomorrow. Thanks again, dudes. :rockon
get it aligned yet? your shops gonna love you for bringing it to them...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah mine was so bad off alignment i had to go to 2 different shops before one would work on it...lets see some pics!
Ha! So we finish up and I tell my lady to come outside to check it out. She's all, "it looks really good but why does it look like it's tippy toeing?"

I laughed. She's runnin' it by the shop today.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what was the height difference between the new coils and stock ones when you got the old ones out?
My coils were shot...I'd bet it was a good 3 inches. I can check tonight but at least 3.

I should add that the difference in the truck's appearance and ride is astounding. Once my buddy sends me pics, I'll be sure to post them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts