Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ya, me and my buddy dave decided to go do a lil 2 trackin today to break his newly purchased 88 chevy 4x4 in, so we go to our normal trails and start diggin in, well since there is FINALLY a rig that will be able to pull out the bronco around i decide to try some of the deep stuff, well ya, i got stuck lol, only cus the 1st time i went through it i was daydreaming or something and didn't even touch the gas til i was already IN the mud puddle, so he pulls me out right quick with his cheby and we decide its HIS turn to try it out, well he trys it from the other way which apparently is alot easier, because rather than running into a drop off and being stopped (like i did) he dropped off of it and made it most of the way through and ended up driving out of the ruts, but not after he rocked it back and forth like 20 times digging the ruts WAY deeper, so i decide i'm gonna go through it again, i get all the way up until where it started giving him trouble and BAM, no more, both exhaust pipes are under water and my truck don't like it, won't start back up, so now i CANT drive out of it cus it won't start lol... so ya, its starting to get dark and we really can't get my truck pulled out due to lack of a tow hook, finally we rig something up and get it pulled out, but that was a WHILE later, i have some pics but i need to upload them, at one point, my passenger seat footwell was filled with water, which was cool and disturbing all at the same time lol :D...

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
so im hoping your next mod will be tow hooks? go to a junkyard and get a set off somethin, get 4 2 front and 2 rear. you will never regret this mod! while you are there get a bumper from somethin for the front of your rig!

nice story, mud can be fun, but can really suck sometimes

wes

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
see what happens when you aren't prepared? you have to be mentally prepared too! :goodfinge

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Wait until you have water up to the bottom of the seats, and it sloshed forward when you get snatched out. Now that is fun.

Glad you had fun, now go buy some tow hooks.

NOW!

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
Wait until you have water up to the bottom of the seats, and it sloshed forward when you get snatched out. Now that is fun.
Been there, done that, took pictures!:toothless

But seriously, tow hooks are your friend. I have used mine on several occassions, not only to extract myself, but to extract others as well. Mostly to extract others!:goodfinge

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

ok ok guys, i HAD tow hooks, they had just come in the mail the day before we went wheelin, but since i didn't plan on doing anything to get myself stuck, i just never put them on :banghead, and anyway, i'm planning on buying new bumpers with hooks welded onto them, but i can throw the 10 buck ebay hooks on there for now...

here is a shot of it when it was starting to fill with water and wouldn't start cus of the exhaust being under so far, this was probly 9 at nite and quite dark :( lol...

and heres a couple of earlier when i was just creeping through it not thinking :p...

and heres a few shots of at the gas station i used to clean off my windsheild, having functional wipers would be nice :(, which is next on the list of things to repair with the bronco lol...

and the small amount of water that didn't drain out when i opened my door :thumbup

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Here, i touched up a couple of your pics for ya:thumbup

not bad, not bad! But i think you need a locker. Or bigger tires. Or both:goodfinge

mmmmm.....MUD:toothless

Looks like a nice little hole to play in:thumbup

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
reptillikus said:
Been there, done that, took pictures!:toothless

But seriously, tow hooks are your friend. I have used mine on several occassions, not only to extract myself, but to extract others as well. Mostly to extract others!:goodfinge
mostly

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, its just a stock bronco with 33's, and i WOULD have made it through the mudhole had my exhaust not dipped WAY under the water, cus i was climbing out the other side when the engine stalled, and then when i went to start it again i could hear the exhaust gurgling lol, as soon as my friend pulled me to the point where my exhaust wasnt in the water anymore, i backed out of that no problem...

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
JHew84 said:
ya, its just a stock bronco with 33's, and i WOULD have made it through the mudhole had my exhaust not dipped WAY under the water, cus i was climbing out the other side when the engine stalled, and then when i went to start it again i could hear the exhaust gurgling lol, as soon as my friend pulled me to the point where my exhaust wasnt in the water anymore, i backed out of that no problem...
I love that exhaust gurgling sound, the guys I go wheeling with from work want to paint depth markings on my truck like they have on ships. Mount those tow hooks and go out again. Just keep the water below the manifolds and keep it running, and you'll be fine.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
I feel your pain man, i remember (a few years ago now) when i had my 3" b.l. and 33's (and nice open diffs, too), and got stuck pretty bad in a mudhole just like that. Thank god i had a hitch on the back of my truck, cause i had never put any consideration into what i would do if i actually got stuck :twak<-me

Then of course my buddy proceeded to 'show me how its done'. Shoulda seen the look on his face when he got stuck too, it was priceless!:histerica

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol, i'll post some pictures of the bronco conquering that mud hole when the water level is a lil lower, or if i get my exhaust re-routed so its not so low, either way, the bronco WILL kill that mud-hole, and kill it good :twak :twak

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Jhew....Our broncos have sway bars...And they are worthless...take them off, and you'll get some better flex, and handling. Use the bracket that attaches to the frame just behind the bumper to mount your tow hooks if you dont want to drill into your frame. Ive seen a few 150's and Bronco's with hooks or mounts here, and it seems to work well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool, i think i might put them on the front, but i'm not sure, i'm not THAT apposed to drilling the frame as long as it is going to be useful... but this rig is half daily driver, half toy, takin the swaybar off wouldn't be good for daily would it?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
JHew84 said:
but this rig is half daily driver, half toy, takin the swaybar off wouldn't be good for daily would it?
mine is a DD and weekend warrior i took them off ASAP and the
flex is totally better and the difference on road is
not even noticeable. and its very worth it.

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,683 Posts
JHew84......I ask myself why did your truck stall? Did you let off on the gas? Because I have been stuck in some mud with the exhaust under water and as long as I kept my foot on the go fast pedal, I was fine.:shrug

I have tried to water proof everything I can. I would also recomend you to extend your breather tubes on your Diffs., Tranny and X-Case with a long hose and a plastic fuel filter at the end going to the engine compartment. If you havent yet. Nice looking rig :thumbup

Here is a picture of me driving through a puddle of water:

Allcruisen :imp :usa

1 - 20 of 26 Posts