Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my U-joints and there are two that are stuck in there like no other. I've tried everything that I can think of. I pounded the shit out of them, I used a huge c-clamp but they wont move. The others came out with no problem. What else should I try?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Normally I'd say heat them, but that might be a bad idea...

I've heard of people cutting them out with a torch, then removing the rest, but I've never seen it done. Maybe someone can tell you how they did it. So far, all of mine have come out with a little bit of work...

KC

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
It's hard to explain but I'll try my best.

At the u-joint intersection, you'll have a horizontal pair of axle shaft ears and a vertical pair of axle shaft ears. Have the horizontal pair of ears supported by wood blocks or something that can take a beating. Do not allow the vertical pair of ears to contact anything. Use a 2-3 lb hammer and hit the top vertical ear at the curved section. This will drive the upper u-joint cap down through the upper vertical ear. Flip it over and go in the opposite direction.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Why not heat them?
Sorry, that was an incomplete thought :doh0715:

Reason being, you risk bending the ears where the ujoints fit in...basically rendering the shaft useless ;) However, if you're hammering super hard on them, you also run that risk...

Hope you understand that, I'm gettin tired :toothless: And thoughts aren't complete now...

KC

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to explain but I'll try my best.

At the u-joint intersection, you'll have a horizontal pair of axle shaft ears and a vertical pair of axle shaft ears. Have the horizontal pair of ears supported by wood blocks or something that can take a beating. Do not allow the vertical pair of ears to contact anything. Use a 2-3 lb hammer and hit the top vertical ear at the curved section. This will drive the upper u-joint cap down through the upper vertical ear. Flip it over and go in the opposite direction.

I'm trying to follow. By vertical do you mean the ones on the left and right or top and bottom? Can you clarify more, sorry.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got one left to go on the double cardain joint. I battled until late last night but couldn't get it. I need a bigger vise.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got it. Thanks for the help. I got a meaty C-clamp and pressed in to the point that the clamp started to bend. Then I smacked the yoke with a hammer to relive the pressure and the joint started to budge. From there we were able to pound the joint out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Finally got it. Thanks for the help. I got a meaty C-clamp and pressed in to the point that the clamp started to bend. Then I smacked the yoke with a hammer to relive the pressure and the joint started to budge. From there we were able to pound the joint out.
sorry to bump and old thread but i'm having the same problem. Thinking about hitting up Harbor Freight tomorrow and get their u-joint/ball joint press tool. Mixed reviews but if it does start to bend, I think tapping on it like you did makes sense.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You can rent one from Autozone or Orielys and get your money back when your done with it, just a cheaper option for you.;)
Thanks!! Didn't think of that.

Hope it works.

BTW, just a shot in the dark here but would bad u-joints cause vibrations in the 68-77 mph area?

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
If they are in your drive shaft, yes it would. Could also be as easy as tires need rebalancing. Can you feel the vibration in the seat or the steering wheel? That will help you narrow it down from the front or rear.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If they are in your drive shaft, yes it would. Could also be as easy as tires need rebalancing. Can you feel the vibration in the seat or the steering wheel? That will help you narrow it down from the front or rear.
i feel it in my seat (chicks digs it but the tone ring does not; get a very very very very subtle speedo bounce but no rhythm or rhyme) . I had the tires balanced 4x's already and each time gets a little better but it just doesn't go away.

I think it would be my joints. when i put it in reverse sometimes, it feels like someone hammers away at the drivetrain but that's only when i've been driving. when i first drive the truck and put it in gear, it doesn't do it. maybe whatever is inside the joint is cold and when it's been moved and warms up, the pounding starts but not consistently.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I did mine this afternoon. Socket, block of wood, 8# hammer. Dont be afraid of hurting it. Use a c-clamp to put it back together.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
pretty much what dust ball said...thats how i have to do it on diesels with 4'' driveshafts. line the ears up on blocks of wood and beat on it just before the cap. they usually fall right out. on the smaller ones, like in the picture is how you do steering shaft u-joints. although i dont use any clamps to put them back together, clean the inside of the holes with a flap wheel of sorts, scotch brite, and make them nice and smooth, apply anti-sieze they should slide right into place, may have to use a hammer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts