Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
even though i have new mud terrain tires on my truck, which the guy said would do fine in the snow, i was sliding around just as much as everyone else this morning in the fresh snow,

right now im running 33x12.5 tires,

my plan would be to get 35x9.5 studded snows, mounting them on my old rims, taller and thinner to cut through deep snow, but studded for more traction...

any thoughts? any good brands? anyone around here that wants to sell me their old ones ;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
you wanna fit 35's on stock suspension?

and mud tires are actually worse in packed snow. for packed snow you want All terrains because of all the biting edges. mud tires are only good in loose snow.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
35's would go with cut out fenders, 2" leveling coil lift, and extended radius arms, curved away from the tires...

wow i havnt upgraded my sig. line in a while. need some pics up on my superford site too, wow im lazy :D

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
I had studded mud terrain 33's on my ZR2 and it did great out in Colorado ........ thing with studs is you have to treat them as snow tires and not drive too much on them come springtime .. the studs heat up the rubber and they actually wear a little faster

a mud terrain tire sucks in the snow .. there is no siping to grip or bite .. the only way a mud tire works in snow is with studs ... as for a 35 studded? .. I don't really know, but I don't see why not :shrug

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
We just had a discussion about siping tires. Myself, I've never understood why a guy would stud any tire on his pickup, and ruin those tires. Damager's right, the studs will wear out the pin holes way too fast, making a puncture alot more likely

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Sipe your tires. I siped my Michelins and they have some of the biggest tread blocks out there and they now do awesome on the snow.

B

·
0 Posts
I ran Big-O's big foot AT tall narrows on 16's for snow and they worked great, no studs. I did get tired of swapping tires though when I wanted to wheel. They do cut through deep snow better and there is more weight per square inch making them bite in the hard pack snow better. I sold the tires off the rims but I still have the rims 16X8's. I wouldn't go with studs unless the roads remain iced/packed for weeks on end. Cable or chains work for short term storms. 20 years in Flagstaff AZ. 7,000 feet and 200 inches snow/year.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts
Thats the LTB, right?
I heard theyre made of a different kind of rubber, and are pretty soft. Supposed they dont last as long as the other Swampers do. :shrug

Me personally, id pick your favorite M/T and sipe 'em. Ive been meaning to get once of those fancy siping tools so i can do mine.

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
Nosir, thats a TSL swamper.:beer Its the S.S. model or Special Service swamper made for light trucks and dually trucks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ooo those swampers look pretty :thumbup , but the tread is just about the same as my mud terrain, soo traction wouldnt be any better, unless i siped them, which i could just do to the tires i already have...

where sipes tires for you?

(im going to search in a min, i just thought ide ask while im here)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts