Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1980 ford bronco
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ok I appreciate the info. I will give it a thorough cleaning and see what the whetstone is all about. I'm a bit nervous because the spot in question is right where the gasket blew and I was told that you can get grooves there which are bad news.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ok I appreciate the info. I will give it a thorough cleaning and see what the whetstone is all about. I'm a bit nervous because the spot in question is right where the gasket blew and I was told that you can get grooves there which are bad news.
Could always get your heads resurfaced by a machine shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1980 ford bronco
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Could always get your heads resurfaced by a machine shop

Ya I've got 2 sets of heads at this point and I'm gonna take them both to the shop and have them pick the better one and go though it. My main concern now is those tiny bumps on the block. I'm really not equipped to pull the block

·
Registered
1980 ford bronco
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I've been researching the whetstone technique and it seems you just use a knife sharpening stone? Any particular grit? I don't suppose one of you would mind posting a link to one you recommend?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I’ve never stoned a block so I hesitate to recommend any particular type. It was more as a springboard for you to see what techniques and tools exist and decide which one(s) make sense for you.

Good luck getting your engine back up to snuff.

·
Registered
1980 ford bronco
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I’ve never stoned a block so I hesitate to recommend any particular type. It was more as a springboard for you to see what techniques and tools exist and decide which one(s) make sense for you.

Good luck getting your engine back up to snuff.
OK I can appreciate that! Well today I dropped my original heads off at the machine shop (sounds like I'll be paying around 400 for the job) and I ordered this whetstone for the block. It feels good to be making some progress!
Screenshot_20200826-191527.png

·
Registered
854 Posts
I don’t think it matters much. I’ve used WD-40 and tapping oil with emery cloth with good results. Something likely better than nothing.

·
Registered
1980 ford bronco
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well the shop called me today and said one head is cracked, the other has some stripped threads that need fixed. So I brought them the other heads I have in hopes of them using both sets to make up one good pair.

·
Registered
1980 ford bronco
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ok quick update. I got the craiglist heads back from the machine shop yesterday. $275 and they're good to go. I expected them to be smooth but they're covered in grooves now (I assume that is normal?) Today I have been whetstoning the block and it's going great! Those bumps I was worried about dissappeared instantly. Thanks for that tip!

Quick question, these pins that hold the head gasket in place go on the block right? Not the heads? And should there be one or 2 on each side? Currently there is one per side of the block but I have two more that were on the heads (not sure which pair) . I'm guessing I need to put these two onto the block?
20200904_171103_HDR.jpg
20200904_171056_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
1980 ford bronco
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ok the new head gasket is on and the truck still dies when turning. Hmm. I'm gonna post a new thread with a new vacuum test.

·
Registered
1980 ford bronco
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
No issues when driving? Just when you turn the steering wheel?

I haven't attempted driving yet, I've just tested putting it in gear and turning the wheel and it dies. Should I see how it does when moving down the road?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts