Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Search funciton, I didnt see anything

89 w/ 302 all stock
Truck will run absolutely great for about 45 minutes, then it dies, will start for just a sec, then die. Will keep doing that until you give it at least a couple hours to cool off. With carb cleaner it will run as long as you continue spraying.

BOTH fuel pumps are new.
Fuel pump relay is new.
Fuel filter is new
Fuel pressure regulator? Does that sound right?

Anyone have a diagram of the fuel system or have this happen to them before?

When I replaced the low pressure fuel pump I didnt replace the whole In-tank unit, just the pump. Im not sure if that matters

·
Registered
959 Posts
Whats your fuel pressure?

Are the injectors firing? (buy a cheap noid light set from HF)

Do you have spark?

What makes you think it is fuel? Quit throwing parts at it... The ignition control module is responsible for many, many hard/no starts when hot. Not saying that's your issue, but pointing out you could be barking up the wrong tree. Start diagnosing and this will turn out cheaper for you in the long run.

Good Luck,
Jason

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually the ICM is new...
I will check spark though. It kind of reminded me of when the ignition coil went out, whenever it died, I guess.

i will check spark and get back to you. 90% of my ignition system is under 2 years old.
Getting hot and dying does sound like a pump or module though.

The reason I thought it was fuel was because when i sprayed carb cleaner, It ran.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I got a similar question truck ran fine then yesterday went out and it wouldn't start I have power at the fuel pump Un plugged but when I plug it in no power any thoughts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
if it runs on carb cleaner, it is not likely ignition related

did you replace pick up sock in fuel tank?
that could be plugging up and causing lack of fuel and gunk will usually back off after it sits

I had my first car do that to me,every 60 miles,pretty much right on the dot
it would start back up and run awesome for another 60 miles after it sat for 5 minutes

it was a crappy plugged up fuel filter
try removing fuel filter and draining it onto a piece of clean paper or cardboard to see how much crap comes out of it
filters are cheap,i would just replace it because it is the easiest thing to do,if it doesn't solve issue,keep removed filter till next time you need one

and get a motorcraft one if you can
other than that,is tank vented properly

drive it till it quits,undo gas cap and see if you hear a sucking sound as air is being sucked into tank

a fuel pressure gauge that can be monitored from drivers seat may also help find issue when truck is dying out

and New parts do not mean good parts
I see a fair share of failed new parts,specially aftermarket ones

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seems to happen after driving it for awhile. First i drove it about 30 minutes in 80 degree weather and it died, then I replaced the in tank fuel pump and sock. (I admit I threw parts at it, but I was really convinced it was the pump. Also my thought process was, worst case scenario the truck gets a new pump)

The next time, I drove it about 30 miles in 65 degree weather, and it died.
Let it cool down, and when I tried to start it it wouldnt run more than a minute.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know the parts stores rent out fuel pressure testers. Id maybe head down that road and see what kindof pressures youve got. that will let you know if its fuel related or air/spark.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It died on me again 30 minutes outside of town. i work and go to school full time, so i'm not going to mess with it. Had it towed to a shop, lets see what happens

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Could be the tank is not venting, after driving 30 minutes or so it can't push any more fuel out.

simply driving with out the gas cap would have answered this.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey guys - I'm no expert here....but i've read about something called a TFI module that can get hot and cause running problems - it might be worth looking into.....good luck.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Get a fuel pressure gauge and eliminate fuel as an issue or find it is an issue. Harbor freight has a test kit and some auto stores will rent you a kit.
Report back.
PW
==========
Search funciton, I didnt see anything

89 w/ 302 all stock
Truck will run absolutely great for about 45 minutes, then it dies, will start for just a sec, then die. Will keep doing that until you give it at least a couple hours to cool off. With carb cleaner it will run as long as you continue spraying.

BOTH fuel pumps are new.
Fuel pump relay is new.
Fuel filter is new
Fuel pressure regulator? Does that sound right?

Anyone have a diagram of the fuel system or have this happen to them before?

When I replaced the low pressure fuel pump I didnt replace the whole In-tank unit, just the pump. Im not sure if that matters

·
Registered
129 Posts
Definitly get a fuel pressure gague on it as my Bronco was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a weak high pressure fuel pump that took a bit of running to show its problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
also make sure you fuel lines are away from anything hot it could be getting vapor locked so the fuel is boiling over this is usally a carb problem but thought id throw that out there good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts