Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 89 XLT 5.0L, and the only things I can find wrong with it is a Leaky pinion seal, which I'm going to fix, and a a busked signal. This might be a stupid question, but I've never had the privlage taking apart the steering column on a Bronco. The blinker signal lever won't engage on the right side. The light blinks if I hold it up, and the left side works just fine. Is the a catch in there that the lever grabs that might be broken?

Thanks

T

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,856 Posts
The switch broke. theres a little plastic tab in there. Or so im told.
Mine is busted just like yours is, but i dont wanna take the column apart, so i live with it.:toothless

·
Registered
156 Posts
turn signal switch with tilt steering is about $70.00 from napa. It's not a difficult repair, you just have to pull off your steering wheel and also feed the wires through the dash.I did mine in less than 1 hour.
:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$70 that's a little steep, I guess I can probably get one from any 80-96 Bronco or F-Series in the junk yard for a few bucks, right. Cause at $70 I'll just deal with it.

Oh, and I don't have a tilt steering wheel, if that makes any difference.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,709 Posts
Tom89 said:
Is the a catch in there that the lever grabs that might be broken?
Naw, you're low on blinker fluid.. thats what holds the lever up. :goodfinge

I got a good junkyard model cheap, $10? IIRC
its not that tough to remove and repair as I recall. Biggest PITA for me was getting the wheel off.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,720 Posts
Re: Re: Stupid Blinker

locopny said:
Naw, you're low on blinker fluid.. thats what holds the lever up. :goodfinge
:lolup It was only a matter of time! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
432 Posts
It is simple I just replaced mine Buy a turn signal cam from autozone. If you dont have one rent the steering wheel removal tool. Pull the steering wheel offf.
There is 1 screw and 2 wires that hold the cam on, remove the screw and cut the wires (leave them as long as you can.)
Pull the old cam off.
On the bottom of the new cam are two straight wire springs, one is a little longer than the original one so you have to trim a bout 1/16th inch off of either side of it.
crimp the wires to the new cam (connecter are included)
set the new cam in place and replace screw.
Test the turn signal make sure you got everything right.(I had to file the plastic catches a little for it to latch)
If everything is working replace the steering wheel.

Is that clear as mud??

·
Registered
548 Posts
70 bucks is kinda high. I think I payed about 35 at autozone last year. The hardest thing is feeding the big connector thru the column.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
southrnpride69 said:
It is simple I just replaced mine Buy a turn signal cam from autozone.
Those things fawking suck. I made the mistake of buying one once before. I had to modify it just like you described in order to get it to work, then put it together only to have the right side tab break off immediately, and the left side tab to fail a few days later.

I had to R&R the column twice just to get the lights to work AT ALL.

Get a good junkyard one. Mine came from a van.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts