Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure it has been sweared at many times. But my Bronco lost the tranny about 3 weeks ago. The wife and I were headed to our local lake with boat in tow. There is this nasty hill going to the lake, and we have been over it many times. I was watching the trans temp closely, all was good, then just 10' from the crest a huge BOOM. Bronco helplessly rolls to the side of the road.

So come to discover I blew the planetaries. :( Now I am tossing around if I should rebuild it or not. This was the wife's daily driver, and has been in her family since it was new. But I have since replaced it with a 85 BMW 735i that I found on CL.

Bronco has 252,000 on it, never had the engine or trans out. New starter, new set of 31" Dunlop M/Ts (400 miles on em), complete brake job, tune-up, new exhaust, heater core,and it passes smog. Just wondering if I should fix it. A friend will give $400 for the tires, and give me his old ones, and Pick n Pull will give $200 for the Bronco. Just $3,000 for a decent built E4OD is steep, and I will not install a wrecking yard trans. I thought about going OE also for $1900, and I will get a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Or just build it my self, seeing as I work for a Ford Dealership and have a few friends that will help with assembly.

Thoughts? Trash it, CL it, or Fix it.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Id use your friends labor (reduced or free??) and take the opportunity to upgrade that thing as much as you can afford... then you will have a great transmission that should last you a long long time.... I sure wouldnt give it up to a pick and pull unless it was just completely trashed... (IMO, too many people part out perfectly good Broncos).

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
my e4od cooked at 80K. you have nothing to complain about.

your rig sounds like it is in otherwise decent condition, so it may be worth spending a little money to rebuild the tranny and keep it on the road. then again, there are alot of nice bko's for sale out there in the $2500-4500 range.

if you have the ability to rebuild it yourself, that is usually the cheapest option and if you learn something while doing it, even better.

my second option would be OE for $1900, that's not a bad price.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Defintally O/H it esecially if you work at a Dealership. There are plent of good aftermarket kits out there to upgrade the trans. Just be sure to do it right the first time and you should never have a problem again. While your fixing it see if you can get your hands on a Torqshift transcooler (6.0 diesel) they are massive and can be bolted in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a 91, XLT with auto hubs, and they work like they are supposed to LOL. It isn't pretty, but the body is straight except for the tailgate. Some one used the spare tire as a stop and pushed the gate in. But yeah its complete, right to the burl wood dash, all the power windows work, and the OE cassette radio.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Defintally O/H it esecially if you work at a Dealership. There are plent of good aftermarket kits out there to upgrade the trans. Just be sure to do it right the first time and you should never have a problem again. While your fixing it see if you can get your hands on a Torqshift transcooler (6.0 diesel) they are massive and can be bolted in.
we sell a Hayden 4 pass cooler that makes the TS cooler look a power steering cooler. :D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Let us know what you do, and how you end up liking it. Im fixing to drop mine and do something. Mines got a little over 270k on it, although besides the TC theres nothin wrong but she's old and I want to freshen it up since I got the new motor.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
$3k to rebuild an E40D? I had mine done for $1300. Of course you would also need to add new planetaries to that figure, but it still ain't $3k. Call around and find a good local NON-CHAIN tranny shop. I asked my machinist for a recommendation when I found the place that did mine.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
I'm with all the stupids above me.

Rebuild the thing. Most Manual transmission can't make 250k, let alone the E4OD doing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.