Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a few questions since the bronco i just bought is the first 4wd I have owned, it is a 96 5.8 with push button 4wd
1st question-what kind of preventative maintanence should I do to prevent problems with the 4wd in the future ie; greesing anything, checking certain thing stuff like that
2nd question- i took it offroad today and even in 4wd the rear wheels would break loose pretty easy is this just from lack of lockers or ls?
3rd question- other than the obvious bolt ons like a fipk intake and exhaust what else can i do with out major work to increase hp/torque?
thanks for any input and i hope any answers help other noobs too
thanks again
jason

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
Q1 - Swap in some manual hubs.
Q2 - ? Doesn't sound right.
Q3 - use the SEARCH feature, scan thru the "Tech Write Ups - Installs" forum.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve83 said:
#3 :twak FIPK sucks. Read Project MPG's RESULTS pages.
if I was looking for gas milage you would be right the cold air system 3 had the best gas milage, but the fipk had the best HP and torque improvements and that is more important to me than MPG

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Q1 - as already stated get some manual hubs. Change all fuids, diffs, tranny, Tcase, etc.

Q2 - Get some tires with tread suited for the terrain you're driving on (AT for snow/sand/pavement, MT for mud/rocks)

Q3 - I'm with Steve, why not go for the Mileage AND HP increase of the cold air setup? Upgrade exhaust to free lowing mufflers and 3" single pipe

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
87EBBronco said:
Q1 -
Q3 - I'm with Steve, why not go for the Mileage AND HP increase of the cold air setup? Upgrade exhaust to free lowing mufflers and 3" single pipe
the fipk kit i ordered is the stage two kit that has the heat shield and intake tube, the one tested on MPG sounds like the stage one fipk that just replaces the airbox. the cold air 3 setup that got the "optimum configuration" raitng on MPG was rated that way for highest MPG but -4% HP +1%torque the fipk (probly a stage one) was rated +5% hp and +2% torque so like i said iam am looking for power not MPG the site that is rating these fiters called "MPG" is obviously concentrating of fuel economy not power, plus it sounds like they are rating the stage one kit and there is a difference between the stage one and two kits. I have a stage one in my t-bird and not much difference, I have installed stage two kits in a few of my friends trucks and it was a very noticable power difference. I am not arguing against what steve is saying but it depends on what results you are looking for .

stage 1-1996 FORD Bronco 5.8L V8 F/I - w/mass air SUV FIPK 57-2510-1
9.65 HP @ 4313 RPM

stage 2-1996 FORD Bronco 5.8L V8 F/I - w/mass air SUV FIPK 57-2543
10.22 HP @ 4201 RPM

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also question 3 was asking what else would increase power other than a fipk and exhaust, not if the fipk sucks or not.
thanks
jason

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
some bronco's (such as my 91) came with an open diff out back. That may be your problem too. Only one wheel's gonna spin out back with an open diff. Guess it's really a 3x4 eh?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Steve83 said:
Mine has an open diff & both wheels spin. :wacko

Your statement is only true if one wheel has MUCH less traction than the other, which in my experience, is rare. I'm sure it's much more common when rock-crawling, but that still represents VERY few of the miles Broncos drive. ;)

perhaps my understanding of an open diff is wrong? from my understanding, with an open diff, there is nothing there to grab and spin the other wheel at all, so we get the one wheel peel? no?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve83 said:
Mine has an open diff & both wheels spin. :wacko

Your statement is only true if one wheel has MUCH less traction than the other, which in my experience, is rare. I'm sure it's much more common when rock-crawling, but that still represents VERY few of the miles Broncos drive. ;)
i'm sure thats what was happening it only happened when i would give it allot of gas on loose gravel/sand, I guess i need to invest in a LS or locker

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
drinkbrew said:
2nd question- i took it offroad today and even in 4wd the rear wheels would break loose pretty easy is this just from lack of lockers or ls?
Your hubs arent lockin Jr :toothless

Gacknar said:
How to test Ford Auto locking hubs on all TTB aplications.

1. Place transfercase in 2HI or Neutrall.

2. Lying under vehicle, turn front drive shaft (one direction only).

3. Automatic hubs should lock after 1 to 5 turns of driveshaft (one direction only).

After step 3 the hubs should lock, youll know they are locked becouse you will hear a click from both hubs and you will no longer be able to turn the front drive shaft (in the same direction). If this is not the case then continue to step 4. If you can no longer turn the drive shaft (in the same direction) then skip to step 7.

4. If you can still turn the drive shaft (one direction only) then one or more of your Auto hubs is not working.

5. Continuing to turn the Drive shaft (one direction only).

6. Look at the u-joints for the front stub axles, if both are turning then both front hubs are malfunctioning, if only one is turning then the one that is not turning is locked and the one turning is malfuctioning.

Replace as necosary (preferably with manual hubs, Auto hubs have Yams in them)

7. To unlock the hubs, turn drive shaft in opisat direction untill you hear a click from the hubs.

To check for transfercase engagement.

1. Place pushbutton transfercase in either 4 HI or 4LO.

2. lie under vehicle.

3. You should not be able to turn front drive-shaft in either direction.

4. If you can turn the front drive shaft then your transfer case is not shifting properly.
v8only said:
perhaps my understanding of an open diff is wrong? from my understanding, with an open diff, there is nothing there to grab and spin the other wheel at all, so we get the one wheel peel? no?
Inded it is.

Read here.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
What are you actually wanting to do with your Bronco? You didn't mention a lift or larger tires. The numbers you were argueing for the FIPK of about 4k rpm are way above where mine spends nearly all it's time. The only time mine sees numbers like that are when I'm proving a point to a Honda.

What you actually want to do with your Bronco will determine the best mods.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
thanks for clearing that up. I've been reading up on it as well. Not quite the death sentence I thought it was originally.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Steve83 said:
#3 :twak FIPK sucks. Read Project MPG's RESULTS pages.
:stupid

look up kenny94 he wrapped his in insulation and it worked out alot better with the drop in and that and the f250 induction tube

1 - 16 of 16 Posts