Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,139 Posts
Torch always works nice, if not then if you have air tools (air hammer) chisel them bast*rds off. It seems to work better chiseling when you can drill a little of the head off. Chisel the head then hammer the stud part out. Takes some time but it can be done. They are S.O.B.'s All I can say is HAVE FUN!:beer

·
ford freak
731 Posts
I used a 4" angle grinder. once the wheel wore down enough, i could grind the head off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I was restoring my frame, I took every (except the engine x-member)crossmember off at one point. I also used an angle grinder to grind them flush with the frame. Then used a punch and a BFH.

I wish I had air tools, it sounds like the way to go.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Air hammer

·
Registered
132 Posts
Easiest/fastest way I've found is to "cross" grind the heads, make an X across them with a thin cut-off wheel all the way through. Then air-hammer, once they have the relief cuts the bulk of the head will crack off when hammered.
Any path you take sux.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Punch the center, drill it with a #5 center drill, drill a 1/4" pilot hole, then a 1/2" drill. The head will fall off, and you just knock the rest through with a drift. It's the cleanest way IMO.

That's how I did my rear hangers.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
im still oblivious to these rivets?:brownbag mine didnt have any?:shrug

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,787 Posts
grind notches in the heads with a grinder, chisel the heads flat (off) with a air hammer, then center punch the bad boys out. A couple of buddies and I did about 12 rivets in 2 hours on his K5 CJ.

Once you figure it out, they go quick.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm with jslax04. I didn't have any rivets. All bolts. :shrug:shrugMy biggest problem on the lift was drilling all the new holes for brackets.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,500 Posts
I'm thinking of trying the plasma cutter on the rivets hold the coil buckets... Just use it to blast a hole through it - like drilling but much faster :D

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,500 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts