Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to check the timing on my 80 F250 (5.0L - Carburated) and while looking at the balancer, there are no marks on it except for one big notch.

The pointer is also different, it just has a hole in it. Not your typical pointer that lets you see where the timing actually is. And, it's tucked way underneath the alternator. I don't know how you could even see it if it was adjustable.

I know there are certain distributors that are controlled by a computer, but after ripping my truck completely apart for a rebuild I did not see anything other than the Duraspark box on the passenger side inner fenderwell. The dizzy does have a vacuum hose hooked up to the carb for advance, so I just assumed that it could be adjusted.

What gives? I'd like to know where my timing is, but don't have a clue how to check it.

:whiteflag

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
My timing marks are on the harmonic balancer. I used chalk to fill in the grooves and numbers. If you have no marks or numbers I would think something is not right. If you've never timed a vehicle before I suggest you gfet instruction prior to trying it yourself.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
I was going to check the timing on my 80 F250 (5.0L - Carburated) and while looking at the balancer, there are no marks on it except for one big notch.

The pointer is also different, it just has a hole in it. Not your typical pointer that lets you see where the timing actually is. And, it's tucked way underneath the alternator. I don't know how you could even see it if it was adjustable.

I know there are certain distributors that are controlled by a computer, but after ripping my truck completely apart for a rebuild I did not see anything other than the Duraspark box on the passenger side inner fenderwell. The dizzy does have a vacuum hose hooked up to the carb for advance, so I just assumed that it could be adjusted.

What gives? I'd like to know where my timing is, but don't have a clue how to check it.

:whiteflag
Theyz there but they could be under rust or paint. I sanded mine down, shot a light coat of black spray paint and then marked them with a white paint pen.

Others just rub white chalk into the fine grooves and eva-thang gets right visible-like for yuh:toothless

Sixlitre

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
You do have a vacuum advance distributor. You'll need to pull the hose off and plug it to set your base timing.

There probably are marks on there, they're just really difficult to see.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, it's not like I've never set engine timing before. I know all about disconnecting the vacuum line, wiping chalk on the balancer, blah, blah, blah.

I have rebuilt many engines, worked for quite a few racing shops with dyno's, been to too many race tracks to count.

What bugs me is the lack of a typical timing pointer on the cover. It's just an "O" shaped piece of tubing welded to a flat piece of sheet metal. There is no pointer to speak of, and I am almost positive there are no marks on the balancer.

Almost as if there should be something like a crank trigger that would see the one and only notch in the balancer.

Nobody has ever seen this before on 80-86 302's?

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
i've seen it before.... just have never timed one that was like that.. so i guess i'm no help..

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
Buy a new harmonic balancer, with timing marks on it....? Seems to me this is about the only way, unless you can set time by the sound of the motor...

KC

·
Registered
13 Posts
This was pretty common on the old carb trucks. Use your timing gun you just look through the hole or pipe and that's the reading. Basically the timing line mark on the balancer should be centered in the pipe looking down. Not fords best idea ever, but I have seen stupider things lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, ok. But what is it showing you assuming that you can get a damn timing light down under the alternator to see it in the first place?

TDC, 6 degrees BTDC, etc?

I have no way of accurately knowing where the timing is.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Theyz there but they could be under rust or paint. I sanded mine down, shot a light coat of black spray paint and then marked them with a white paint pen.

Others just rub white chalk into the fine grooves and eva-thang gets right visible-like for yuh:toothless

Sixlitre
We use an "S" instead of a Z in America. Mexicans use Z's here. How come y'all don't speak French up there anyway???

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
We use an "S" instead of a Z in America. Mexicans use Z's here. How come y'all don't speak French up there anyway???
Fear not Dave

our 17% French minority is working on us all learning French:doh0715: The [email protected]%&suckers already constitute 58% of the civil service and they're going for more.

I just use the "z"s when I'ze talkin' hick/redneck:toothless.

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
So why you got to pick on us hick/rednecks.....ay?lol
Causin' I iz one too:toothless

The last thang I iz, is uh French Canajian separatist. Can't even speak the second class language mysef';)

Sixlitre

1 - 14 of 14 Posts