Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the carpet up in the cargo area and found the shiny foil covered sheet with the cardboard slats stapled to it.

Since this stuff was rotten and smelled bad, what can I get to take the place of it ? Or could I get some type of bondo or undercoating and just level all the ridges so that slats wouldn't be required ?

Suggestions please.

Joe in Little Rock

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I'd do a DYI bed liner material to seal everything then follow up with El Kabong suggested. If you want it truly flat, fill the gaps with hardboard and then lay solid sheets on top of the slats.

·
Premium Member
1991Bronco 5.8L, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift/SuperRunner, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
624 Posts
You could get some PVC sheets (Sintra) in 1/8" or 1/4" and cut them in strips. The PVC will not compress and will not rot or swell from moisture.
It cost more than masonite, a lot more but it will hold up for a long time.

Reactions: El Kabong

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,900 Posts
I didn't put my strips back in when I redid my cargo area. I definitely did not want to use anything that would absorb moisture, and I also didn't want anything under the carpet that water could get under and stay wet all the time. I decided just to put the carpet back down directly over the sound deadener.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the quick responses. I guess I’ll be browsing the isles at Home Depot. I appreciate all the suggestions .

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,371 Posts
Any wood will work. You can coat it in polyurethane to keep it from absorbing moisture. Do all six sides of the boards. Then a thin sheet of plywood to smooth it all out.

Reactions: TheWolf
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.