Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright as a couple of you know i got rid of my bronco in favor of a 3inch lifted 1992 f-150.While driving home from work the other night,i hit a rough patch of road going 40 in 4th gear and all of a sudden my truck started bouncing up and down uncontrollable,it didn't stop until i applied brakes and pull over to the shoulder.It felt like it was coming from the front but it could have been from the back.The steering wheel was not vibrating.The steering is tight from what i can tell.I beleive it's axle wrap but i'm not one hundred percent sure.Anybody got any idea's?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've only driven it a couple times after that,i checked the front suspension it's ok and so is the rear.I haven't been able to replicate it,i'm starting to think it was axle wrap or the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you ever heard of the death wobbles or death shakes? This is where you front end is pretty much just bouncing around like crazy. You might want to look into getting a steering stabilizer, a single should be fine for 33 inch tires. How long have you had those tires on there? How old are the rest of the suspension components? Did you jack up the front of the truck and get under there and shake the crap out of everything you could get your hands on? If you are not sure what the death shakes feels like the best way i can describe it is it feels like a monster pops out of a man hole and tries to rip the front axial off. That might sound stupid but when it happened to me the first time I near shat myself. Oh and the only way to stop it is to slow down. Hope that this helps. keep us posted so that we know what the deal was.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the tires have been on here for maybe 1 1/2 years,there fairly new,the rest of the suspension components i have no idea how old they are.The steering wheel wasn't shaking,if it was deathwobble i would have felt it.I haven't shaken the crap outta everything yet,i had a friend wiggle my wheel lightly to see if there was play in the steering and their was none.What your describing sounds exactly what happened.when i get to work tommorow i'll check it out,i've been to afraid to drive it much since that happened.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you are not sure what the death shakes feels like the best way i can describe it is it feels like a monster pops out of a man hole and tries to rip the front axial off. That might sound stupid but when it happened to me the first time I near shat myself. Oh and the only way to stop it is to slow down. Hope that this helps.
lmao!!! :chili: That was the funniest post I have ever read! I had the same problem when I drove my brother's v8 tube buggy. I was going about 30 and for some reason the unbalanced 35x16.5 boggers started going crazy. I'm just glad we had a trailer to tow it back to the cabin or otherwise we'd have to drive the 40 miles back at 25mph.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked everything,I haven't driven it for a week,just been driving my works evolution home for now.I'm driving it home tonight.I did check the ball joints,I did check everything under the truck and from what I could tell it was all good.The truck is really tight underneath,I guess I'm gonna drive it and see what happens,if it does it again I'm gonna get the tires balanced and see what happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts