Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until this weekend all electrically was fine with our 92 Bronco. Over the weekend I replaced a front manual hub lock-out. When I started driving I realized the front drive shaft was spinning. I drove like this for 2 days until I could pull out the hub to repair it. Now that the hub is out and can't engage the 4x4, there's another problem - the truck won't start. As if the ignition switch was bad. The Bronco won't start unless I jump the solenoid (this all started last night). So I get into the truck this morning and start driving to work (jumped the solenoid). Now there is a rear wheel ABS sensor "on". Also, the electronic 4x4 flickers as if it's on. As I'm driving to work the transmission seems like it's stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear as it accelerates very poorly. And my speedometer is out. All my other gauges are working.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this? http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/images/smilies/BangHead.gif

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I would start by checking all the fuses!!!

I had a blown fuse one time and the trannsy shifted like chit for, and the gauges werent working properly. Start there, and report back

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the fuses and all are intact. I will check the OBD codes as soon as I can but I am perplexed by the whole thing.

On Saturday night, all was well. Everything functioned when I pulled into the driveway. Sunday I raised the front end, pulled the driver's side wheel and removed the hub assembly and spindle. I replaced the bearings, then replaced the spindle and hub (piece by piece). Apparently when I reassembled the hub it was done incorrectly. When I was done the front drive shaft turned even though the electronic 4 wheel drive was off. I decided to rebuild it in a couple days as it was late. The I found the ignition switch wouldn't work. I have started the truck by jumping the solenoid. So I drove it to work the next two days. I noticed that the speedometer wasn't working. Also, the indicator light for the 4x4 was coming on even though it wasn't engaged. Then on the second day I noticed the transmission was shifting strangely. As if it were stuck in 2nd or 3rd. So, I parked it and have been trying to figure out the electrical problem ever since.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My buddy had a stereo and some other audio stuff installed on his bronco and he had similar problems right after the install,( gauges going crazy, random electrical gremlins, etc), but it would still start up fine. The shop made a couple bad grounds, we moved them and tested them after wards and mysteriously all the problems went away. May or may not help, just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts