Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '83 Bronco XLT that I use for carrying musical equipment and trips to the Home Depot. A friend's dad bought it new in South Carolina in 1983 and I have had it in Georgia since 2005. Following a recent carb rebuild, the engine seized (possible oil pressure issue after sitting for a couple of months). I followed the most common suggestion for unseizing the engine - i.e. squirting Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder, waiting a couple of weeks and then and attempting to manually turn the crankshaft with a harmonic balancer adapter and pull bar. No luck with that effort, so I'm assuming that the engine is shot. I considered selling the vehicle, but thought that I would also look into the possibility of getting the engine rebuilt or even replacing the short block. I do not have a place to do that kind of work on the vehicle, so the job would need to be completed by a third party. Any suggestions for the best approach and possible cost are appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 Eddie Bauer- 351W
78 Posts
I bought a new block from Ford for my 351W. I think it was about $3200. I had them install it because they give you a 3 year warranty at any Ford dealership in the country. If I had a shop and a cherry picker I could have saved the labor, but no warranty. I think it was a good deal. Labor was about the same cost. I had to add a new throttle body and replaced the injectors with rebuilds.

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
747 Posts
You can get a new long block from an auto parts store for around 2000 bucks (after you pay taxes and shipping). Like warthog said, if you had a cherry picker you can swap out a motor in these older carbureted broncos pretty easily in a weekend, heck if you had a somewhat mechanically inclined friend to help you could get it done in a day.

Shop rates around here are around 100 an hour, and id figure that being an all day job so id expect someone to charge around 1000 bucks to swap that engine out, plus any additional parts (fluids, gaskets, hoses).

Also, you're problem might not be cylinder related, it could be crankshaft related, if you had a crank bearing get wiped it could be locked up there.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,041 Posts
A random seizure is usually crank or rod related.

We have a few GA members here that may be able to help or point to a reputable local shop. Where in GA are you? Id help, but im way over in KS!

As said, a basic reman engine can be had for about 2000. And the carb engines are really easy to swap. It can be done in a day with a couple guys who somewhat know what they are doing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the feedback.
I bought a new block from Ford for my 351W. I think it was about $3200. I had them install it because they give you a 3 year warranty at any Ford dealership in the country. If I had a shop and a cherry picker I could have saved the labor, but no warranty. I think it was a good deal. Labor was about the same cost. I had to add a new throttle body and replaced the injectors with rebuilds.
Thanks Warthog4. I agree that the warranty is great to have, but $3,500 + labor is more that I am looking to spend. But excellent information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A random seizure is usually crank or rod related.

We have a few GA members here that may be able to help or point to a reputable local shop. Where in GA are you? Id help, but im way over in KS!

As said, a basic reman engine can be had for about 2000. And the carb engines are really easy to swap. It can be done in a day with a couple guys who somewhat know what they are doing.
Hi BigBlue 94. Thanks very much for the reply. I'm in the Cumming area. I have checked around and am hearing numbers like $4-5K for an engine swap. I could do it myself, but would need a few days to finish it by myself and don't have a place to do it. I've had my Bronco for 16 years, but I'm seriously thinking about selling it as-is vs. paying someone else to replace the engine.

·
Super Moderator
28,758 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Let know before you sell this to somone who does not apprecaite it. I'm just up the road in Suwanee.... the bad part is I already have two Broncos in driveway... but a Bullnose is something I always wanted.

Screw my HOA... they already hate me

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,076 Posts
I've got a soft spot for that year, my uncle had one the exact same color combo, except his was a stick with a 6 cylinder..
She's definitely clean and if you decide to sell, it will get snapped up fast..If it were me, I'd try to hang on to it..those are getting tough to find in that good of shape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts