Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and dolls, has anyone used the oil filter relocation kit from Summit? It's their brand name. Also, is a dual setup REALLY necessary? I mean with the cost of the extra filter (I'll be using the K&N) and would assume an extra qt of oil and the additional cost the dual kit itself. Am I splitting hairs here or what? Thanks for the help.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
This is too wierd!! I just got the holiday Summits today and actualy wrote down the part number to order that kit tommorow...so I'm curious to hear what people have to say on this. I had the remote setup on another rig I had and like that alot, so I'm gonna go remote, is the double any better for the buck?? Good question, Jim!!:beer

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Personally I think the only good thing about a remote filter is the possible cooling effects from the filter being away from the block.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I like it cause it's easier to get to. What I need to know is and I think this is what Jim is asking also (If not sorry to hijack your thread) are two filters better than one, enough to justify the extra bucks??:shrug

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
I've considered it as well, another advantage I thought I could get with relocating it was if I wanted to install an oil cooler, oil pressure sensor, or oil temp sensor, it would be easier to do. Ryan, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
If you're gonna install a remote filter kit, do NOT use the supplied rubber hose/hose clamps that come with the kit. Do it right and use hydraulic hoses with the pre-made fittings. It's not worth the risk of having a hose come off a barbed fitting and losing all your oil.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blaze, you're on target with my question. Also the Summit kit was the least expensive kit of what I saw and am curious 'bout the quality. My primary reason for the remote is filter change and secondly the additional cooling aspects. So which is it, one or two lumps? :shrug

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
No-one realy answered what was asked, so I think I'm gonna go with two, Jim...and I think I'm going with TD performance, it's onlt 8 bucks more and the kit justs "looks" better in the pics...:shrug

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
for what its worth, i was going to use a dual filter kit plus leave the stock one there too. i have the factory set up that lowers the stock filter & has fittings on it to route to a cooler or whatever you want. im not using K&N oil filters on my used 460 so its not that expensive. i think 3 is overkill but what the hey. i also added a single filter inline with my tranny cooler. all of which are hose clamped on. now i did get all my lines from a hydraulic shop & had them crimp on the inverted flare fitting that hooks to the cooler itself. my single filter was 9.99 on ebay. the thread in general discussion tells how to find the ebay seller.

ok heres my take on dual filters. get your K&N if you want to. do you know the micron rating? make your K&N second and a cheaper filter first. that way the cheaper filter will get all the big crap first, then the expensive filter will last longer. i have a water system and i added a simple particle filter and carbon filter inline before the R/O system and its still going where last time the rust clogged the systems filters quickly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Axaviere, your idea on the dual filter setup is excellent! I have the same type setup on my well, I don't know why I didn't think of it for the Bronc.:banghead
OK, so there you are; dual setup and I'm gonna go with TransDapt. I agree with you Blaze it "looks" better, plus I talked with my rep from Keystone and he said it was one of the better ones to get.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i have my moments. funny part is the ones i wish there were no people around to witness are usually in a crowd & the ones i need a witness im usually with the dogs. they know im brilliant.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
after you get it, put a couple of filters on it & test fit it. its gott be somewhere you can get to easily. some place where you can handle the filter after you take it off & not drip oil everywhere. i was thinking it may be easier if mounted lower. you might still have to crawl under the rig, but hey you gotta drain the oil anyway. try a few spots. for my single tranny mount, i had bought 2 - 4 feet leads with crimped fittings & then another 6 feet of line to figure it all out. i got a cooler to consider too. does the kit come with line? dont be afraid to buy more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, I received my TD Performance kit today and it comes with pre-made hoses with fittings.:thumbup The hoses are rated at 300psi. I read through the instructions and they are most comprehensive. I'll let you know this wkend how it goes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Know whatcha mean Blaze. It seems there are a million things to buy with only 50 bucks in your pocket. Maybe I won't eat next week. Ah bump it! Where's my credit card?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts