Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read through a bunch of the summit header post but for some reason i feel like i am missing something.
I ordered the summit shorty headers and mr. gasket #5930 gasket. The headers come with new header bolts right? I am replacing the exhaust manifold out of necessity as it is rotted out and has a big hole in the passenger side. The bolts are nasty looking, being parked 100 ft from the beach most of it life will do that i guess. I plan on starting to soak the bolts daily with PB blaster until this weekend when i go to install it. What else should i get while i am in there and what tool do you guys prefer for broken bolts. I am hoping nothing breaks but i want to plan in advance as i can not have much down time as i am screwed if it snows and will not be able to get to work!

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Using an impact on those bolts, along with PB Blaster every day should definitely help.

The action of an impact gun I think is probably the most beneficial to getting them out without breaking them.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using an impact on those bolts, along with PB Blaster every day should definitely help.

The action of an impact gun I think is probably the most beneficial to getting them out without breaking them.
nice i recently got one of these! IR 1/2" Titanium 'N' Torque Ultra-Duty Impact Wrench (1,000 Ft-Lbs Nut Busting Torque)

·
Registered
641 Posts
My biggest problem was getting the manifolds off of the y-pipe. I sprayed them with P-B Blaster for a week and it didn't do anything. Had to go and buy deep well sockets, 1/2" extensions, and an elbow extension. And a lot of band-aids.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
air gun huh? i jst ordered shorties also. lil worried about the old bolts myself...awesome thread:thumbup
Don't be... I was scared shitless of breaking a bolt off in the head when I did mine... at the time, 15 long years of salt air, salt water, and salt road life down here in Cape May county, and soaking them with PB for a few days, and smackin' em with the impact left me with a big smile.

·
Registered
73 Posts
this is my only transportation so would i be able to soak the bolts with pb blaster and still drive it like a 100+ miles a day, i.e. is pb blaster flammable? thanks , once again great thread whoever started it:chili:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just make sure everything is completey cold before you start working on it. Not "oh it's cold enough to snow here" cold but no heat at all in the engine. The expansion that comes with that heat is enough to snap one of those bolts off. I did that on my old toyota, only waited about an hour and got too much 19 year old testosterone on it and spent the rest of the weekend drilling and tapping. Good luck, the PB soaking should help.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
this is my only transportation so would i be able to soak the bolts with pb blaster and still drive it like a 100+ miles a day, i.e. is pb blaster flammable? thanks , once again great thread whoever started it:chili:
Yeah, you'll be fine, it's not gonna ignite on you...

Actually, after running the motor, wait a few minutes, and then shoot the bolts down with the PB blaster. The heat on the bolts can help the soaking in, and may even do a better job then just soaking alone.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not to worry i only broke 3 header bolts when i installed my shorties. LOL i was able to get 2 of them out the other one i had to leave it in. I didnt have any leaks on that side but i have thick flanges and a think header gasket(bassani).

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
nice i recently got one of these! IR 1/2" Titanium 'N' Torque Ultra-Duty Impact Wrench (1,000 Ft-Lbs Nut Busting Torque)
I have an old half inch one that I found in the Trash when I was a master tech at big o tires. It had a Clogged air input I changed it oiled it up and it screems it will damn neer brake your wrist.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an old half inch one that I found in the Trash when I was a master tech at big o tires. It had a Clogged air input I changed it oiled it up and it screems it will damn neer brake your wrist.
i have had a few close calls on my wrist!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts