Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, what day. Some kid lost his Jeep in the lake last weekend, and the authorities were dogging it, so we got it out ourselves.

The truck was in about 25' of water, upside down, and it had to come up a steep rock face. We lost 1 hydraulic winch, 1 12k winch, a few tree savers, a few tow straps, adn my 12k winch stopped working as we were loading the Jeep on the trailer. I guess it could have been worse. :toothless

All my pics are here, along with my co-pilot's.

Here are some of my pics:

Some of my co-pilot's pics:

Some underwater shots:

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

Way to scratch the paint!!!

Great recovery!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Way to scratch the paint!!!

Great recovery!
Thanks Walt. After the v-rock it is pretty rocky, and I looked out the back window to see that the Jeep was up against a 12" high rock. I laughed and said "oh well" and gunned it. The front of the Jeep went up and onto the rock, and it rolled under the truck for a few feet. Must have quite the ride. :histerica

... did he forget to set the parking break or what??
The store the kid is telling is that he had a broken motor mount, couldn't get it into park, set the e-brake, got out, and the truck rolled down into the lake.

He would have been parked up by where I was here:

And went between the tree's in front of me here:

The sad thing is that there used to be a tree half way up that hill (you can see it, about 7' away from the left rear tire), but somebody cut it down because it made the trail to narrow. :banghead

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

The kid is lucky he didn't get any fines

Did the cop walk up? That is a fair bit of a walk

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The kid is lucky he didn't get any fines

Did the cop walk up? That is a fair bit of a walk
The kid is super lucky. The cop was really cool and joked around with us. He asked if alcohol was involved, and the kid said no. I think the cop rode up on a quad; I just heard one coming up the trail and he appeared.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Kid is lucky that you guys had the equipment (rigging and dive gear) to get it out.

Going to the scrap yard?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
Wow. Way to save the swimming hole eh?

How long did it take to recover it?

KC

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Wow, that is really amazing. Even if I had a working ebrake I would prefer not to park on a slope right down into that lake.

that mog is very nice, the G wagon was in desperate need of real tires.

How far was the trail back as far as towing that thing? And what was the kids point? what is he actually going to do with that thing now?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going to the scrap yard?
Yup, after he parts anything that is still good.

How long did it take to recover it?
7.5 hours.....started around 11am and had her on level ground around 5:30, and had her on the trailer around 6:30.

Even if I had a working ebrake I would prefer not to park on a slope right down into that lake.
He was at the top of the rock where it is fairly level. But I do agree that parking on any hill is asking for it.

.....the G wagon was in desperate need of real tires.
He's some newbie that called my friday night. After seeing his truck we told him to get to the v-rock and see how he felt. The truck has some locker that engages all 4 at once, so he had the best traction he could.

|How far was the trail back as far as towing that thing?
From the lake to the main road is about 2km (a bit over a mile).

And what was the kids point?
Point? Of getting the truck out?

what is he actually going to do with that thing now?
Part out what he can and scrap the rest.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts