Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42765&highlight=tow+hook

I'd like an opinion from someone using these towhooks. Have you subjected them to a heavy pulling session since the install?

I found a set the other day on a totaled Superduty and was able to get the pair, bolts and nut plates. However once I had the first one in my hand, I realized they were hollow cast rather than forged. Additionally the bolts were threaded into the nut plate rather than the frame.

I intend to mount the set with grade 8 bolts/nuts onto a cross piece spanning the frame horns. But I wonder about the load capacity these hooks will provide.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Can't speak to how you plan on mounting them, but my DD is a 2003 F350 and I've never had a problem pulling stuck vehicles out with them. They're pretty rugged, I wouldn't worry about them. Only thing I don't like it that its tought to find a hook or strap to go through them due to the akward shape.

·
No avatar required
10,956 Posts
I yanked a stuck International tow truck from the mud in my back yard with the wife's Excursion and they held up fine.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Nothing wrong with the casted ones. I had them on my 99 F350 and put them through hell without any trouble. I think 99 and 2000 was casted then after that they were the welded bar type. I know the 04 had the welded ones but they never got used much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've got them on my '97 F150. Work great too...I've used them in many extractions. One of them tweeked the frame a little bit on one of my harder pulls...OOPS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts