Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robandkimbie/detail?.dir=/8bfe&.dnm=d986.jpg&.src=ph

Just added a pic of what it looked like before the CAGE arms. Will go take some current pics in a min.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/robandkimbie/detail?.dir=/8bfe&.dnm=7ed0.jpg&.src=ph

I intalled a set of 6" Super Flex Coils a month ago and was wondering if anyone else has a problem with them bowing out towards the tire? Mine are actually rubbing on my tire sidewall when I hit big bumps. This weekend I installed aset of CAGE arms and 7 degree bushings, they are not bowing as bad but still have some arch towards the tire sidewall. I still need to install an adjustable trac bar, but I don't think that will take care of all of it. Considering both coils are arcing towards their respective tires sidewall. Just wondering if I have a bad set of coils or if this is the norm for Super Flex?

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
i think crawler has a set of superflex coils

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I have the same springs on my 93. My drivers spring bows toward the front and the pass doesn't bow at all. I've read that some people have had the same problem you are having.

·
Registered
643 Posts
i use those coils on the 95 and the 85.they bowed forward and out when i first putem in.

then i welded shims under the spring pad and that fixed it.......theres pics in prolly both my sas threads...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah they were bowing forward and out till I replaced the stock radius arms with the CAGE arms, now they just bow out. Do yours make funny noises when hitting weird shaped bumps around 10-15mph?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
My driver side hits the upper coiler bucket. Part of that is because my axle is to the pass side a little bit.(Axle got bumped before we welded up the track bar bracket). But yes they do make funny noises when I hit big bumps.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Here is my truck now -

I had the exact same problem you are having. They are bowing due to 2 reasons.

1 - The bottom spring mount need to be level and parallel to the top spring mount at ride height. Also make sure that the bottom spring mount is indexed so the spring makes contact with it the entire way around. This pic is not my truck but kinda explains what I mean about the mount being indexed properly-

2 - I made an extra strap to hold the top of the spring in place. I don't have any pics of it but it is basically like the factory strap on the front side of the top coil but holds the backside of the coil. I used a strip of 1/8in flat stock and bent it to fit over the coil tight then drilled some holes and bolted it in. Others on here have just used small u-bolts. I can try to take some pics of it but it may be a couple of days before I get a chance.

Here are some more pics that may help -

Before I fixed the spring bow -

New spring mounts that sit level -

As for the funky noise, it is probably the spring rubbing the frame. Yours is probably worse due to the bow. I can hear my springs contacting the frame once and a while, mainly when hitting bumps kinda hard at a faster speed. Like when I hit whoops at the dunes.

Here's a pic of my spring at full stuff and I showed where the spring contacts the frame -

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I just took a look at my old Superlift springs and the new superflex. For some reason Deaver didn't cut the bottom of the springs in the correct spot. Guess I will take them back off and redrill the spring cups so they are seated correctly. What did you do so the bottomspring retainer would hold the spring(due to it being thinner than stock or aftermarket).

The weird noise is more of a boingg than a metal on metal rubbing(spring on spring bucket/tower) I checked and there are no wear marks on either, just the inside of my tire.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Then the noise is probably the coils touching each other or popping in and out of the upper coil mount. If I were you I really would avoid driving the truck until you get those springs to sit better.

To keep the coil in the lower bucket - my lower mount uses one 5/8s bolt rather than the 2 stock bolts, so I had to redrill the mounts and retainers. When I redrilled the retainers I drilled them so it sat a little tighter to the spring. I also beat it down a little bit with a hammer to make it fit even tighter. Still, if I unbolt the spring from the top mount I can turn the spring out of the lower mount without loosening the bolt (makes for easy spring removal:toothless ) I also had to make limiting straps to stop my front d-shaft from over extending/u-joint from binding. The straps also stop the spring from over extending and pulling the coil out of the lower mount.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
Then the noise is probably the coils touching each other or popping in and out of the upper coil mount. If I were you I really would avoid driving the truck until you get those springs to sit better.

To keep the coil in the lower bucket - my lower mount uses one 5/8s bolt rather than the 2 stock bolts, so I had to redrill the mounts and retainers. When I redrilled the retainers I drilled them so it sat a little tighter to the spring. I also beat it down a little bit with a hammer to make it fit even tighter. Still, if I unbolt the spring from the top mount I can turn the spring out of the lower mount without loosening the bolt (makes for easy spring removal:toothless ) I also had to make limiting straps to stop my front d-shaft from over extending/u-joint from binding. The straps also stop the spring from over extending and pulling the coil out of the lower mount.
what radius arms are you using?

The Bronco is parked in my garage right now still waiting on some steering mods. Guess it will just wait a bit longer.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
jb77714 said:
i think crawler has a set of superflex coils
Many people do, including myself. No more probs, though mine are on a '95 with 78-79 towers and solid 44 and cage arms.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts

adding that u bolt on the insides is how I fixed the bowing on mine. I am also going to be running a set in the rear of the bronco by summer time.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
When I built my 3 link I put everything in place to run the 4" superlift springs. I think the 6" springs are too long for how squishy they are. Here's how it looks:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts