·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty new radiator and hoses.

Need to complete the cooling system so I got:
Airtex water pump
Motorcraft Thermostat
Radiator cap (some fancy pants with a pressure release lever)

water pump came with gasket. great. thermostat did not.. need to get.

what else am I missing? Getting coolant while getting the gasket but something in the back of my mind is telling me i'm totally overlooking something here.

radiator - check
hoses (upper and lower) - check
pump w/gasket - check
thermo - check with the exception of the gasket
cap - check
fluids - check

Thanks!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,210 Posts
sounds like you already bought the parts..If it were me, I'd return that airtex and spend the $$ and get a good quality motorcraft water pump..you'll thank yourself down the road.

for the radiator cap, steer clear of the type with the pressure release..they're not reliable.

make sure you use the water pump friendly permatex, it's a black RTV and let it set up a few minutes before refilling system.

last make sure you burp the system to get all of the air out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
by extra fluid and flush the system out make sure u get all the gunk out of the system they also sell radiator flush chemicals,

how are your heater core hoses??

and why are you doing all this work to begin with?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Unless its in really good shape, go ahead and change out the little bypass hose on the pump while you have it apart.

They are annoying to replace otherwise.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I just went through this myself, sounds like you have just about everything. Use silicone for the t-stat gasket.

Make sure you seat the T-stat properly in the housing. It's pretty subtle but if you look you will see that there is a hump on one end, this is where the little air bypass on the t-stat should be pointed at.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Somebody on here replaced the lower thermostat housing bolt with a stud and used a nut to tighten it. I guess it makes removing/installing the housing easier and it would help keep the gasket in place when installing

·
Registered
43 Posts
more time than you think your going to need some pb blaster or similar a torch of some sort and vice grips/ other removal method or hopefully better luck than me...

I did a water pump recently and several of the water pump bolts and 1 of the t-stat bolts broke off

and +1 on the motorcraft pump and making sure the thermostat housing is lined up correctly before you start to tighten things down

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
for the radiator cap, steer clear of the type with the pressure release..they're not reliable.
Yup! At least in my humble experience.

by extra fluid and flush the system out make sure u get all the gunk out of the system
I would get a Prestone Flush N' Fill Kit and, well... flush n' fill the radiator and heater core.

I did a water pump recently and several of the water pump bolts and 1 of the t-stat bolts broke off
Use a quality thermostat housing bolt, such as the Ford SS, 12pt Thermostat Housing Bolt Kit. Use plenty of preventative anti-seize. Nothing worse that a broken bolt.

***Use only quality pre-mix anti-freeze as it contains distilled water or only add distilled water as directed. Using plain tap water will promote galvanic corrosion. Remember, quality anti-freeze contains corrosion inhibitors to protect vehicle radiators against scaling and includes a water pump seal lubricant.

After destroying a cheap GMB finned impeller, water pump I ultimately chose to go with an Edelbrock 8845 Victor Series Closed Impeller driven pump and could not be happier. Yet this may not be the case in your 5.0L stock application.

Good hoses have been great! I use the Goodyear Hi milers.

Get a good water neck, not the cheap iron part... And note the little chingadera (bypass hose) that GvilleBKO was talking about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts