Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of puttting a turbo or supercharger on a Bronco 93' with 351 V8, 150k miles on engine. Currently I have Hi flow exhaust and K&L intake. Would this be a hot upgrade? I looked at the kennebell line.

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/supercharger-selector.htm

They go for $3000+ seems like a lot..... How much can a supercharger be really gotten for and installed for? Maybe even seccond hand??

Is this a good idea if I want more HP? I have stock transmission and gears.

Thanks Rich

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
from what I understand you don't want to super charge an engine with such high miles on it unless you are going to be rebuild it here soon.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
You'll also want to rebuild the tranny, to take the extra power from the supercharger. Talk to a tranny shop, let them know what you've got in mind, and ask what they suggest for parts and cost to rebuild the tranny

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
woo wooooooo!

you have a stock engine, but are looking for more power.

lets start with some bolt ons and top end mods before we go to forced induction. the charger would work alot better on a more than stock engine anyway.

cam, heads, intake, fuel delivery system upgrade, headers, ignition are just a few mods you could try before the kenne bell. you could do all of these for less than the charger. while it may not be as "hot" it will be cheaper, easier, and more suited for a truck.

B

·
0 Posts
Blow it! Blow the old tired motor, tranny and maybe the rear end!
Ya baby ya!
I tore-up a mazda 5 speed light duty tranny in two weeks after blowing my 302. Medium duty ZF replaced it for $800. Spent $1600 on quality short block to hold up to blower. I blew $'s on a mass Air conversion from Ford Racing to make it run right $600. I then upgraded the MAF and Injectors $400. Fuel pump to feed it $250. TwEECer or chip to tune it right for power adders $450. And the list goes on. Ya baby ya!:beer (Prices are approx. only major components listed.)

I'd go with Fireguy's soundtrack, much less expensive and time consuming. But if you like working on it as a hobby, take the plunge and then the long sick journey. I'm a broncoholic and my name is Chris. And no, I ain't giving it up, I'm not in recovery, I'm in denial.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hum

This is my third Bronco I am bored and want more power basically, since I can't afford a better truck I want to make this one better than stock.

As far as tranny mine is a rebuild fairly recently done by Ford.

fuel pump and such I can see how things will escalate, but.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
don't be a fag!
Only homo's buy power adders to not use them :goodfinge

I installed my 363 lightning / cobra engine almost 2 years ago. Best millage i get is about 10 in the city from lead foot, and 12 highway when I'm going 90+

Get the blower, get the displacment, go for broke. Just be honest with yourself, keep your questions within your budget.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
Doesn't a supercharger reduce the life of an engine?

However you will have to upgrade your fuel system to meet the SC's demand for more fuel, like an pump that has more capacity and fuel injectors with an higher pounds per hour rating, I think stock is about 15 Pounds Per Hour.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
:stupid :twak
Not correct. The stock injectors are 19's. but stick in larger ones will only make things worse. Read my web site: http://fordfuelinjection.com/injectors.html for details.

Don't give bad advise about larger injectors. You'll only cause a person to spend $500+ and then spend over $1000 to correct the problem.

B

·
0 Posts
Look at the Powerdyne. Much less expensive. I'm happy with mine, but i did have to upgrade alot of other things to support it with larger heads, headers, larger maf etc. etc. Bone stock, the blower will work, but you get more with other adders, heads, larger maf and inj. etc.etc. then the stock computer can't adapt. I got a twEECer!
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=powerdyne&x=21&y=11

http://www.powerdyne.com/

Note: Blue FMU gone in favor of tuning the engine through the eek4 with TwEECer, much better!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you think of Paxton superchargers? Would a seccond hand one be worth $1000 if it was in decent condition?

Also I hear the powerband is more gradual and starts at a lower RPM with a twinscrew with a supercharger like Kenne Bell.

Would a paxton be almost as good?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts