Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My neighbour comes over to help me get the axle pivot bolts in. For the passenger side axle assembly, the bolt fell in there easy. But the drivers side wouldn't go at all.
After hours of screwing around (taking the radius arm brackets off, etc, "you push and I'll pull", etc), I take the Superlift bracket off the truck, then discover there's no way in hell it will go on. It seems like Superlift screwed the bracket up. Like the holes were drilled in slightly the wrong spot.

I've got two options: 1. Take the bracket back to Superlift, or 2. Grind out the back of the bracket, so the axle assembly has enough room to move.

The way I see it, I shouldn't have to grind anything out of their brackets... which makes me think that I should return it.
I'm paranoid about getting this thing aligned when it's all done, and if the holes for the drivers side axle pivot bracket are in the wrong spot, this is only going to make it harder to align.

I bought the kit through Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. I rang them up the other day, explained it all, and said how it's only out by about 5mm. The guy on the phone said "oh if it's only that much you could just grind it out".
He said to email him some pics, he'll send them through to Superlift, see what they say.

If they say "it's only 5mm, just grind it" should I? Or should I bitch and complain until they send me another bracket?

Sorry about the crappy night pics, laying on the ground, trying to hold the bracket with one hand. Take a look and tell me what you think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This shot is just to show I've got the old bracket and the lift bracket lined up where the axle pivot bolt goes.

See how much more room there is for the axle assembly on the original bracket.

The red line shows where the axle assembly would go.

It just aint gunna go. If I raise the axle assembly up, it will hit on the end of the bracket, and the holes in the bracket will not line up with the axle pivot bushings.

The two bolts at the top of the pic are where the bracket should be mounted.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i don't know if im followin this right, but let me ask this...

if you take the drop bracket in question off the truck and attempt to put it on the axle pivot will it still not fit? like the bracket is not wide enough? if not, id send it back

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Well, I run into this problem about half the time on Rough Country lift kits, where the bolt holes are not in line with the factory ones. I usually drill them out to the next larger bolt size, or slot/ream just the hole(s) that are mis-aligned. If the bracket is too narrow for the pivot arm and bushing to fit, you can either shave off a bit of the bushing inside the pivot arm, or try to bend the bracket out a bit. I also advice tack welding that drop bracket to the crossmember after it's bolted in place. There's quite a bit of stress on the arm on that side with a six inch kit. JSM84

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
send it back

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
yeah, id send it back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts