Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ride one and anyone have some insight for someone looking into getting one?

Pretty sure I want a DRZ400 but I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Been a few years ago, but I spent a little time on a DRZ...

Total hoot to ride, but lacking in power and highway riding. Not sure what your goals are, but the DRZ would be a good choice for a city commuter/ part time track bike (short/SM tracks). Not hardcore enough for a full time track bike(without significant upgrades), and not something I would want to ride on the highway (65mph+) much. Perfect for city hooning.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No tracks around here, main use would be to goof off on and ride to work on, Two lane highway with 60mph speed limit, I think it would be ok powerwise. Im also new to bikes so I would be buying something around the same power anyways most likely.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The DRZs are supposed to be tanks. I have been interested in a husqvarna SM610 or SMS630. Very cool bikes and they look like a lot of fun. There are always a ton of old modified XR650s and 600s in my area for sale but they typically want too much money. I suppose ease of maintenance and parts availability would be nice for one of those.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
I have been looking for a donor to build a super moto out of my other KDX. I know the WR is real popular to build out I just want to be different and price is a factor.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I seen that thread Ed, I may consider doing something like that, but I like the eazy part of just going to BMV and getting plates and not having to get it inspected and that. I also have too many projects the way it is for me to consider converting one. I think I have settled on a DRZ400sm.

·
Registered
818 Posts
No tracks around here, main use would be to goof off on and ride to work on, Two lane highway with 60mph speed limit, I think it would be ok powerwise. Im also new to bikes so I would be buying something around the same power anyways most likely.
I think you will find the DRZ will suit your purposes pretty well. :thumbup

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
I think I seen that thread Ed, I may consider doing something like that, but I like the eazy part of just going to BMV and getting plates and not having to get it inspected and that. I also have too many projects the way it is for me to consider converting one. I think I have settled on a DRZ400sm.
I'd love to see it when your done. If you happen to spot a Suzuki SV650 that has been wrecked give me a shout.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I've been riding my DRZ for a couple years now, it's not a supermoto though. Excellent bike. I can cruise at 70mph no problem power wise, it is the wind that will get you. Not too terrible and a windscreen would probably knock most of that out.

All depends on what you want out of the bike. The 400 will do a bit better than the 250s at interstate speeds because of the higher weight and more power.

Tons of options for the DRZ as far as mods, some are fairly cheap others like a stroker kit will cost you a bit more.

They are also pretty reliable bikes, durable, and easy to work on. I've dropped my a couple times from a standstill and lowsided it once at 25mph and she's still going strong.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jfritts, those all sound like reasons I want to go that route. I agree its no race bike but it at least looks the part.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Bought a Ducati Hyper with 3k miles. Worst f**king bike I have ever owned. Made 2 payments on it and knew I had to get rid of it ASAP. Center of gravity is/was too high , throttle response was jerky-jerky at best, first gear was a short shift, the suspension hated small bumps (a quick jolt of the handle bars), bike would front-drift in turns(like the front wheel was heading into the apex of the turn while the back wheel was heading in the direction you wanted to go) and the clutch was too clunky for me. Needless to say, I would never own another Duc again...not to mention their service (aka rape charge) plans.....

FWIW, the DRZ is a really durable bike. People who have them don't usually give them away either...

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Did you set up the suspension on the Hyper? Static sag, etc.? If not, it's possible the previous owner got it all out of whack, contributing to your handling problems. The guys (track riders) I've know who have owned Hypers have all raved about the handling.

That said, I owned a Duc ST4S for two years, and it was not a good experience. Lots of little electrical problems. It was the first bike in 20 years that left me stranded. Hard to work on, lots of special tools required. When I replaced it with my 'Busa, I was amazed how much better the plain jane 'Busa suspension was than the Duc Ohlins... It was a Duc that got me hooked on bikes waaay back, and I always wanted one, but never again.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I had the rebound set as acceptable as possible, but in all honesty, I really needed new springs for my height and weight for it to ride respectfully. Problem was, I couldn't get passed all the other issues that pissed me off when I would ride it. I.E. like the $70 spider spring blowing apart when I was down shifting to a stop light in traffic.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
:thumbup KTM :thumbup

Husband just traded his DRZ400 for a BMW adventure bike. Can't go deep into the woods anymore but at least he can ride fire roads and keep up with the rest of us on Harleys. The DRZ was a nice bike. He would love a new KTM. We always rode enduros and harescrambles on them. First time in a long time we haven't had a KTM in the garage.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" lift on 33's
35,893 Posts
If you go to TimberSleds website, they have a bunch of video's there.
I've seen a few of these guys out on the trails and those things do outstanding in the deep. The only problem I've seen them really having is going straight up the hills. They can "side-hill" all day but apparently they need a little more "oomph" to get up the hill climbs we have around here. Some have installed "Turbo" on the bikes to get past that and they do well with it... but I think the Turbo's are tearing up the bikes prematurely. :shrug

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sooo Yes I know this thread is old. Never did commit to a Supermoto style bike.
Came to the conclusion I would never use supermoto like I thought. However I am glad I did wait as I now have something that I feel is a much better fit for myself.
Ended up finally pulling the trigger, and getting one of these. Also posting as to bring some closure to the thread.

I have already had mud on it, and made my own muffler delete for it too.

Thanks for the info you guys gave several years ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts