Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

SuperMotors - downtime

6K views 91 replies 35 participants last post by  greasemonger 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

SuperMotors is currently offline while we look into a hardware problem with the main server. It could be a quick fix or it could be 24 hours before we're back up if we need to replace some hardware. Will keep everybody posted here.

#7 ·
Quick Update: Thursday morning, our Internet Service Provider (ISP) will be replacing a failed drive in the SuperMotors server. All media files, registry entries, photo albums, etc. are safe.

As it stands right now, we should be back up and running Thursday afternoon/evening.

I will post more updates Thursday morning.

#8 ·
:thumbup Thanks for the update.

#10 ·
DvlRacer said:
That Burger King Clown in you avitar freaks me out.

#14 ·
OK - that explains it. I thought work might be blocking SM. Damn, this is one of the least busy nights I have had in a while. Oh well. Thanks for the update.

#20 ·
What happened
On Wednesday evening, June 28th, two of the hard drives on the primary server
crashed. This crash took down all web services and e-mail services.

What's being done
As of 10:45 PM EST on 6/29/06, the operating system is back online and we are
restoring basic server applications for e-mail, web, and FTP.

What does this mean?

SuperMotors Registries/Photo Albums
We have a backup from 5/14/06. We should also have a backup from 6/28/06, but the
the drive that the 6/28 backup lives on is currently not being recognized by the server.
We will be working on Friday to recover this data. If we can successfully recover
the data, we will be back to normal Friday night. If we cannot recover the data,
we unfortunately must resort to an older backup from 5/14/06 and any new posts,
photos, videos, registries, or accounts added between 5/15 and 6/28 will be lost.

SuperFord/E-mail Users:
Your saved e-mails are unfortunately unrecoverable. Any saved e-mails were on
the drive that crashed on 6/29/06. We will be re-instating all e-mail accounts
as soon as we are back online with e-mail services. This will mean you will be
able to send and receive e-mail, but for those of you who used the web-based
e-mail client (horde), any saved e-mails are gone. We ask that if you had an
e-mail account hosted with us, you e-mail us the e-mail address and password
to supermotors@negate.net so we may reinstate it ASAP. We will send you an
e-mail when we have setup your account.

Sounds like they got their hands full.

#23 ·
DvlRacer said:
uh-oh. Sounds scarily familiar to when this happened:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4280

I hope you got a lot of stickers handy.

Edit: I love and am an avid user of Supermotors, and I don't pay so I guess I have no room to complain.
Almost 3 years ago since that happened -- that was human error. More data was lost then than we're talking now, at least.

Our problem right now is a case of multiple hardware failures. Kind of like having an engine throw a rod and a transmission fail at the same time, it's just not supposed to happen.

We'll know more after this morning/afternoon. More updates later today - I will post here and on the SM site as we will be taking the server offline for a while to diagnose the backup drive that's not playing nice right now.

#25 ·
I wasn't going to say anything, but I hate it when people get upset when a hosting service loses some data because of a hardware failure. Hardware failures happen and I wish them the best of luck with the repair. Supermotors is kind enough to host my pictures for free. I think that's a really cool thing for them to do for Ford community. Hopefully they will recover all the files, but even if they don't this is a good lesson to back your own chit up. All my pics are on my home computer, work computer, backup cd's and then Supermotors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.