Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Superrunner Steering and TRE flip

I'm in the process of installing a long list of upgrades on my 92 bronco. These upgrades include 5.5" of lift using BDS Brackets and radius arms with Deaver Springs and the Superlift superrunner steering.
I'm thinking of doing a TRE flip to orient the steering more parallel to the axle. See the link below for an example of the setup with the TRE's in the stock location. Anyone have an opinion on doing the TRE flip with the superrunner steering? It looks like the tie rods would be at a much better angle if they were flipped. Thanks

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/gsbroncos/Seagull/DSCN8225.jpg

Also, here is the link for the TRE flip thread if anyone is interested
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174477

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Steering geometry is still fawked with the shorterish tie rods. Personal I would build a crossover steering. It would work much better.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
do it,

the flatter the tie rods, the better the steering,

as for the superruner steering im curious how it works out, as neither the left or right tie rod match the beam pivot point, and i know the ranger guys have problems with it

Some of you may have even gone as far as installing something like the Superrunner steering linkage ("K"-style linkage) that Superlift sells. It's unfortunate this kit also has a similar design flaw in that the centerlink isn't mounted low enough, and as a result (in spite of claims to help with this issue), it still doesn't do a whole lot to correct the bumpsteer as evidenced here on a similar 4" lift (it's said this kit can be used with 6" lifts even):

Here is a Superlift Superrunner linkage where the centerlink has been modified to position the tierods more appropriately with the beam pivots, and again you can see the marked improvement in the travel paths between the beam and the tierod:

but i think a tie rod flip would help this/ maybe superlift fixed it(or not, dont see many broncos running it)

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Don't beleive what you hear. The SuperRunner steering is an improvement for TTB. I have done what you are asking about and it worked great! I did have to go back to a stock pitman arm. I would highly suggest you get the conical bushings from JBG to go in the knuckles. They allow you can ream a bit deeper and eliminate the hour glass shape in the knuckle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SWAT, how much lift do you have? After flipping the TRE's, I can see the need to remove or reduce the drop in the pitman arm with a 4" lift but figure I should be almost perfect with 5.5 inches.

Don't beleive what you hear. The SuperRunner steering is an improvement for TTB. I have done what you are asking about and it worked great! I did have to go back to a stock pitman arm. I would highly suggest you get the conical bushings from JBG to go in the knuckles. They allow you can ream a bit deeper and eliminate the hour glass shape in the knuckle.

·
Side step it
1,584 Posts
I have read up here and have found very few positive words on the Superrunner system, basically a waste of money compared to the results. I do have first hand knowledge about the tie rod flip mod, it's Great! My drag link and inner and outers all line up perfectly straight when I had my 2.5" lift and still are with the 4" one. I should add that I didn't have a drop pitman arm till I did the 4" lift and it was still straight without it on the 2.5" lift. Here's some pictures......:thumbup -Kevin-

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I ran it with a 6" lift and again despite what someone read, it was and improvement, better on the street and with the knuckle under you get the rods up further out of harms way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you all who run the superrunner steering have the superlift axle pivot drop bracket with the holes predrilled to accept the idler arm bracket or did you drill them or weld it on yourself? My BDS bracket seems a little shallow on the side to drill (the nuts on the inside would be too close to the corner to sit flat), I may only drill the front two holes have the side welded instead. I just finished installing the lift and should have looked at the idler arm mounting bracket ahead of time, looks I have to take the axle pivot bracket back off again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
486 Posts
I also added a custom dual bilstien steering stabilizer set up i will try and get some pics posted of it. but it does work awesome. and i also had the drilled superlift dropdown bracket.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dropdown bracket is actually from BDS. I had to drill the holes myself. I'd definitely be interested in seeing the dual Bilstien stabilizer you run. Do you have a part number on that?

I also added a custom dual bilstien steering stabilizer set up i will try and get some pics posted of it. but it does work awesome. and i also had the drilled superlift dropdown bracket.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I've got a used complete Superrunner steering system if anyone is interested. Dirty but not bent. Nuts, bolts and tie rods included. $200 + shipping. Located in New Jersey. Send a PM.:thumbup

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
the Tie rod flip was one of the best mods I did to the TTB.. much much improved on and off road handling.. and never bent another TRE or drag link after that..
can't add anything on the superrunner steering however.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After taking another look at this before I buy the sleeves and 7* reamer
I noticed that since I run dual shocks the Superrunner Tie Rods will hit the front/front shocks with the wheels fully turned one way or the other if the TRE's were on top of the knuckle instead of underneath. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
so do you only run the front back shock or do you have to switch to a different style shock set up

1 - 20 of 30 Posts