Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I bent one of my tie rods on my superrunner steering & broke the tie rod end. I was able to get a replacement tie rod end today at a local parts store, so I can get it back on the road pretty quick. But I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer for me.

First, the driver side tie rod end was the same as the original stock one, the passenger side stock tie rod end appears to be different from the one used on the superrunner steering, does anyone know for sure if it is different or not?

Second, can I heat up the bent tie rod to straighten it out? I don't know if this will weaken it or not, but I would like to try to straighten it.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Rick3373 said:
First, the driver side tie rod end was the same as the original stock one, the passenger side stock tie rod end appears to be different from the one used on the superrunner steering, does anyone know for sure if it is different or not?

Second, can I heat up the bent tie rod to straighten it out? I don't know if this will weaken it or not, but I would like to try to straighten it.

Yes, its different. As far as heating to straighten it, that would be a band-aid trail fix. It will be easier to bend in the future.

People have modified the Superrunner to take "stock" chevy TRE.

Edit: Look at what Meixter did to his old setup.http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=3367&s=21481#content

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I've already straightened it using a hydraulic press at work. It will be reinstalled probably tomorrow. Since the left side end is not broken I'm electing not to replace it now, SAS is in the works for June & I don't see any point in spending money on the front end now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts