Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace mount bolts on lift/pivot bracket and want to know how I should support it (if even necessary) while I remove/replace a bolt.

I'm thinking just lift Bronco via front frame/taking some pressure off front suspension.
Would that be enough?
Would that even matter?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

For clarity;
The lift bracket is for the passenger side TTB.
The pic is of said bracket/front view.
Bolt in question is the upper right bolt/that bolt goes through both sides of bracket/said bolt is about 5" long.
Said bolt holds/supports both sides of bracket.

HOW SHOULD I APPROACH THIS?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I’m still confused on orientation. Is the top right bolt the original spot where the axle beam bolted in (the pivot)? Or am I looking at this entirely incorrectly?

Reactions: CDA 455

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m still confused on orientation. Is the top right bolt the original spot where the axle beam bolted in (the pivot)? Or am I looking at this entirely incorrectly?
Good question/point
Those three bolts are factory original holes.
I think the actual factory original pivot point was just below that bolt hole.

I still have the factory original bracket, but it's at the storage unit.
I'll take a pic of it later today.

Anyone with a '92 to '96 with stock suspension want to take a pic of that location?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Are you sure the two to the left of the bolt in question are factory? It looks like the drop bracket for the passenger side beam. Seems like most brackets make use or reusing the original pivot bolt (9/16") plus adding two or three additional bolts through the crossmember to give the bracket stability. If the bolt in question is just a bracket bolt, I would think just loosening it and replacing it should be straightforward as the other two bolts will hold the bracket.

That said, I've not much experience with the TTB yet. Will be installing a lift here soon though, so hopefully I'll have some in the near future.

Reactions: CDA 455

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure the two to the left of the bolt in question are factory? It looks like the drop bracket for the passenger side beam. Seems like most brackets make use or reusing the original pivot bolt (9/16") plus adding two or three additional bolts through the crossmember to give the bracket stability. If the bolt in question is just a bracket bolt, I would think just loosening it and replacing it should be straightforward as the other two bolts will hold the bracket.

That said, I've not much experience with the TTB yet. Will be installing a lift here soon though, so hopefully I'll have some in the near future.
This is what to expect when you get old...
You are correct; it is the drop bracket for the passenger side beam.

I am wrong!
Those bolt holes you mention ARE NOT factory; I even drilled out the upper left hole yesterday (notice the shiny new grade-8 bolt head?)! 🤣🤥🙄
Good eye (and my bad memory)!🍺

Reactions: packagerjr

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,721 Posts
I just replaced my drivers side bracket a little over a year ago.
Passenger side should be about the same.
Not much support is needed if radius am is still connected to its bracket and tire is on the ground. Just put a jack under the TTBeam to keep it from dropping.

However with that being said, remember SAFETY FIRST!

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
17,781 Posts
Just replacing bolts? Nothing but a couple wrenches is needed. Just do one at a time.

I had a death wobble on a D50 TTB f250. After months of searching i found two of the 4 bolts holding one ttb pivot bracket to the frame were sheared off and the other two were loose by about 1/4". Four new bolts went in, no jack or anything needed. Death wobble cured.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
End results:
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Wood Gas Auto part Metal Screw

Helmet Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bolts and nuts used:
.5"
Grade 8
20 thread
Jam nut
Nylock nut
#271 Loctite

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Bolts and nuts used:
.5"
Grade 8
20 thread
Jam nut
Nylock nut
#271 Loctite
Any reason for the UNF threads? Personal preference? I was poking around under my rig yesterday and thought the driver's beam bracket was UNF.

Looks good!

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any reason for the UNF threads? Personal preference? I was poking around under my rig yesterday and thought the driver's beam bracket was UNF.

Looks good!
Thanks 🍺

Apparently; with the same bolt size set up, fine thread is stronger than course thread.

With the 3" wheel spacers and HMMWV tires; there's a shit-ton of vibration at the mounts.:oops:

If death wobble returns/bolts loosens; I'm even thinking about going up to 9/16ths bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts