Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my lower intake off, and this is what I find.. Of course the gaskets were complete crap, but it's the little bits and pieces of them laying around that worries me. Most notably the sludgy coolant on the back right side, and what looks to be dried up flaky oil on the front right side. Hard to tell from the pics, but in the middle there were some tiny bits of whatever just kind of floating around. The front and rear intake seals looks like they were applied with 3x more silicone than they needed, and were just hanging off the intake when I removed it.

This is my first time delving in to an piston engine (rebuilt multiple rx-7's), and not 100% sure if everything will be hunky dory if I vacuum, clean, and dry all this stuff up before I take the heads off to replace those gaskets.. Or if what you guys see here is indicative of any more drastic (expensive) problems..

·
Man of endless projects
9,482 Posts
thats bout wut my 88s original 302 looked like. its not that bad looking form the pics and i think it should be fine with alittle cleaning and gaskets. might wanna try doing a good coolant flush and oil flush to get that out where you cant get too. maby even use some boratic acid i think you can use on the coolant? this is wut my 351 looked like that went in to replace that 302. it didnt last very long....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow... That was a LOT worse than mine. Although PO said the guy he bought it from put a new(ish) engine in it, so theoretically it only has like 10k miles on it...

Now to attempt to get the stripped manifold studs off. These things are being extremely annoying.. No room for the impact gun in there either. Swear I've used a half can of pb blaster on those already!

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
your motor is clean just vac it out clean it up, run that thing. it should be good.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
That looks pretty clean. The bits of gasket are prolly from when you broke the manifold loose.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
That looks pretty clean. The bits of gasket are prolly from when you broke the manifold loose.
:stupid

some build up in the pockets that aren't used is normal. clean it out, and put it back together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts