Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
remove the coil, see how high the axle is without the spring at the bumpstops, then reinstall spring, and measure droop.

I'm gonna have to figure out the leaf spring travel in the rear of mine soon.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
The way I've always done it is just force flex the rig until the coil binds, measure, and put the bumpstop 1/2" below that (where it is fully compressedif it's a rubber one and not an air bump...which is what I've always been dealing with. No money for bling bumps :toothless ).

·
Registered
167 Posts
The best way to do this with a majority of coil springs is to count the number of coils total in the spring and then using some sort of micrometer or dial gauge or something similar measure the thickness of the individual coils. Simply multiply the number of coils by the coil thickness and thats your max, essentially catastrophic coilbind. You will wnat to set the max bumped height at a point thats greater than that calculated distance. In some cases other things will interfere with suspension movement before the coil binds so Id recomend cycling the suspension without the spring first.

Personally i always set up my shocks before the bumpstops. In the type of fabrication that i do many times the upper shock mounts ential an entire engine cage and many times Im setting up hydraulic bumpstops so its convenient to mount those fron=m the engine cage or from the frame or both depending on the specific setup. How are you planning to set up your shocks/ and what is your current overall setup?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The best way to do this with a majority of coil springs is to count the number of coils total in the spring and then using some sort of micrometer or dial gauge or something similar measure the thickness of the individual coils. Simply multiply the number of coils by the coil thickness and thats your max, essentially catastrophic coilbind. You will wnat to set the max bumped height at a point thats greater than that calculated distance. In some cases other things will interfere with suspension movement before the coil binds so Id recomend cycling the suspension without the spring first.

Personally i always set up my shocks before the bumpstops. In the type of fabrication that i do many times the upper shock mounts ential an entire engine cage and many times Im setting up hydraulic bumpstops so its convenient to mount those fron=m the engine cage or from the frame or both depending on the specific setup. How are you planning to set up your shocks/ and what is your current overall setup?
Currently my truck has a D44 solid axle with extended radius arms and Deaver coils and some cheap ass shocks. I'm finishing up the main bed cage structure right now and starting to plan out the engine cage. I plan on using Bilstein 7100's with 14in travel up front I don't know how much travel front actually has. That's why I was looking for the best way to cycle. Droop is limited by the front d-shaft angle and the only thing that should limit bump is coil bind. For bump stops I was just gonna go with poly ones since money is too tight for hydros. Plus the truck is mostly a trail rig and will rarely see air time, however I want to be able to jump it and not worry about it falling apart.

To set up the shocks I was planning on bolting them up to the radius arm when at full droop and marking where the top of the shock ends up fully extended. Then setting the truck at full bump and hopefully there should be enough travel in the shock to still reach that mark. Due to limited space up front the shock pretty much has to be straight up and down.

Here are some pics -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts