Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,958 Posts
Those ttb drop brackets appear to be pro comp.

Nick, I think the red you're seeing is rust. Red could be skyjacker too, and they are STIFF.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Nick, I think the red you're seeing is rust. Red could be skyjacker too, and they are STIFF.
Should I be worried about the driver side coil spring moving like that or is that all it will move. I have never noticed it but I honestly haven’t paid that much attention to it. Do you guys think that this would be the main reason for the rough ride? Also, what recommendations do you guys have for replacements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,958 Posts
Should I be worried about the driver side coil spring moving like that or is that all it will move. I have never noticed it but I honestly haven’t paid that much attention to it. Do you guys think that this would be the main reason for the rough ride? Also, what recommendations do you guys have for replacements?

Yes, that is worrisome with the coil movement. Definitely get it back in the proper orientation.

I havent bought coils in forever, and would recommend procomp, but if yours are PC and stiff, idk. Iirc, the PC springs are like 400 in/lb.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, that is worrisome with the coil movement. Definitely get it back in the proper orientation.

I havent bought coils in forever, and would recommend procomp, but if yours are PC and stiff, idk. Iirc, the PC springs are like 400 in/lb.
How does this work??

·
Addicted to Junk
11,958 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How can I readjust the coil spring. I do not have a lot of experience with suspension but I’m not afraid to work on it.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,958 Posts
How can I readjust the coil spring. I do not have a lot of experience with suspension but I’m not afraid to work on it.

Oh gotcha. So you need to research how to safely remove a coil spring. They are deadly if precautions arent taken.

If you can completely unload the front suspension, that is the safest way, since the spring wont be compressed. A good safety measure is to ratchet strap through the coil and to the frame. This will keep the coil from popping out and hitting you in the face or crotch.

Now that you are all safetied up, loosen the bolt holding the top coil clamp on. Then try to rotate the coil back to position. If it doesnt move, the nut in the center of the bottom of the spring needs to be loosened. Then you should be able to rotate it back in place. Tighten both the clamp bolt and the lower nut down. The lower nut needs to be as tight as possible.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,515 Posts

Thats what im thinking as well. A better pic of the whole bracket would confirm though.

The biggest thing i see, is that it has drop brackets instead of extended radius arms, and that has a huge impact on how well they ride. And then JBG's shocks are ok, but not great. PO probably bought them because he was selling it, and theyre cheap. I have no idea what the coil spring rate is for Pro Comp's coil springs, and as @BigBlue 94 said, the different lift companies out there all have wildly different spring rates.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,958 Posts
I know for a fact that skyjacker, superlift, and one of the "countrys" have 650 in/lb rate. Pro comp is the softest still available from a big name company at 475 I believe. Rancho was a bit softer, but they dont make bronco springs anymore.

I have the pro comp lift, and those brackets are identical. Mine has the extended radius arms though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The likely cause is stiff coil springs. Some are 650 lb/in, some are 400. That means it takes 650 pounds to compress it one inch
Everyone always jumps on springs but my experience has been the opposite even with wildly varying spring rates. Its always been the shocks.

mattman- Easy test, start removing front shocks. You won't have any damping but drive it around the block at a low speed with two and then all four shocks removed. It should tell you whether the shocks are the issue or not.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,958 Posts
I've never had shocks cause a stiff ride. And I buy cheap shocks. My bronco has cheap pro comp 3000 shocks. No different from the cheapies that were on it.

I replaced the factory 1996 shocks on my f350 with skyjacker m95 shocks and couldnt tell I even did anything. Though those are leaf springs.

I have a broken shock and 3 weak ones on my explorer. If I hit a small bump on the highway, the whole car starts swaying like a ship on the sea.

As someone pointed out, dropped radius arms arent helping the situation.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I’ll upload a better pic of the drop brackets today. I ordered deaver 5.5” super flex springs last night from JBG. I was able to hit the coil spring with a 3lb hammer yesterday and get it to sit where it was before but just judging by the looks of those vs stock ones on my buddies they are VERY thick steel and don’t compress hardly at all. Also, when I was getting it aligned after tires, the tire shop told me the springs being so stiff and pushing down so hard on the axle made it a pain to do. He recommended softer springs but I never put 2 and 2 together! Hopefully the deaver springs are better and provide a better ride. Not sure what to do about radius arms. At this point, for $1300 i can order the super flex kit and it comes with everything including those and a different leaf pack.

My question is also this. Does the two added leaves in the back make it rough? What’s the option if so?? New leaf packs?

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

This is the kit I was referring to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Matt, it appears you are looking for a “fast” answer. I understand this completely as you’d like to get your bronco both personalized and get the better ride ASAP.

IMHO, the Deaver setup from JBG will make you MUCH happier than what you currently have. Is it “the best”??? Well...that answer is better solved if it’s “the best” for you. For some, $1300 would be “expensive” to spend on a suspension system. For others, $10,000+ isn’t quite enough...because for “a little more cash”, it would be even better.

Another question is, “What will you do with your bronco?” For many, the JBG (or even a less expensive option) will work perfectly. For “go fast bronco” guys out west, or serious “trail/crawler” guys, this option probably won’t achieve the goal they desire.

I haven’t had experience with this particular JBG system, however I have had experience with Deaver Springs and I have always been satisfied with their work. I do plan to use the same rear springs that are in that kit (J40) for my own bronco project.
I noticed this “kit” doesn’t include shocks. For a bronco that isn’t going fast off-road, I’d probably choose a set of proper length, Bilstein 5100 shocks for all the way around. There’s other options for sure.

Hopefully my opinion has at least given you some confidence, as well as some more options to consider.
Good luck with your adventure! Please share pics and the story of your decision!

-G

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Matt, it appears you are looking for a “fast” answer. I understand this completely as you’d like to get your bronco both personalized and get the better ride ASAP.

IMHO, the Deaver setup from JBG will make you MUCH happier than what you currently have. Is it “the best”??? Well...that answer is better solved if it’s “the best” for you. For some, $1300 would be “expensive” to spend on a suspension system. For others, $10,000+ isn’t quite enough...because for “a little more cash”, it would be even better.

Another question is, “What will you do with your bronco?” For many, the JBG (or even a less expensive option) will work perfectly. For “go fast bronco” guys out west, or serious “trail/crawler” guys, this option probably won’t achieve the goal they desire.

I haven’t had experience with this particular JBG system, however I have had experience with Deaver Springs and I have always been satisfied with their work. I do plan to use the same rear springs that are in that kit (J40) for my own bronco project.
I noticed this “kit” doesn’t include shocks. For a bronco that isn’t going fast off-road, I’d probably choose a set of proper length, Bilstein 5100 shocks for all the way around. There’s other options for sure.

Hopefully my opinion has at least given you some confidence, as well as some more options to consider.
Good luck with your adventure! Please share pics and the story of your decision!

-G
Garrick
Thanks for the response man. This is a cruiser that won’t find much time off the pavement. I’m working on restoring it little by little and making it mine. I will take it to my farm from time to time but it stays in the garage and only comes out on nice dry days. With that being said, if you hit a small bump or go over the RR crossing, it will almost hurt. It’s just harsh with ZERO rebound. I ordered the deaver coils for upfront but need something for the rear to help also. Hoping the fronts do it. Not sure what I need to do for shocks as these JBG are new but not the best I see. Took the top off today for a family cruise and had a blast but just want it more comfortable!

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Garrick
Thanks for the response man. This is a cruiser that won’t find much time off the pavement. I’m working on restoring it little by little and making it mine. I will take it to my farm from time to time but it stays in the garage and only comes out on nice dry days. With that being said, if you hit a small bump or go over the RR crossing, it will almost hurt. It’s just harsh with ZERO rebound. I ordered the deaver coils for upfront but need something for the rear to help also. Hoping the fronts do it. Not sure what I need to do for shocks as these JBG are new but not the best I see. Took the top off today for a family cruise and had a blast but just want it more comfortable!

The Deaver 5.5 springs will definitely give you a soft ride. They are about 380/400 in/lb spring rate. I had them on my 1991 with a 351w and they were a little to soft for daily driving. I exchanged them for Skyjackers, because I had them laying around. You will love the Deaver J40 for the rear. They match up well to the Deaver 5.5. Also, you may need some limiting straps up front to keep the coils in their perches. If they over extended, droop, they can pop out of their seats as you have shown. This WILL happen to the Deaver 5.5s. Also you may have to bend the retainer clip a little to hold the Deavers in place since they are a much smaller diameter spring. Hence the softer spring rate. The Super Runner kit from JBG is a great set up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The Deaver 5.5 springs will definitely give you a soft ride. They are about 380/400 in/lb spring rate. I had them on my 1991 with a 351w and they were a little to soft for daily driving. I exchanged them for Skyjackers, because I had them laying around. You will love the Deaver J40 for the rear. They match up well to the Deaver 5.5. Also, you may need some limiting straps up front to keep the coils in their perches. If they over extended, droop, they can pop out of their seats as you have shown. This WILL happen to the Deaver 5.5s. Also you may have to bend the retainer clip a little to hold the Deavers in place since they are a much smaller diameter spring. Hence the softer spring rate. The Super Runner kit from JBG is a great set up.
I’m going to start with the front coils and then keep going from there lol. If the front doesn’t fix it, I’ll probably replace the whole kit with that JBG kit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Okay.......since I can NOT get ahold of anyone at JBG on the phone or via email or social media, can someone tell me what else I would need if I bought this kit?? Adapters, etc?? Seems I have a procomp 6” lift kit now... I also have JBG 6” lift shocks I assume would be okay for now since they are fairly new. Also, would their 4” super flex clear 35” tires being that I JUST put them on? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Anyone??

·
Addicted to Junk
11,958 Posts
With that kit you'll need a pair of factory radius arm brackets, since you have drop brackets now. Otherwise, it looks complete, even down to the adjustable BJ bushings.

A 4" lift will clear 35s but some minor trimming or spacing will need to be done on the front bumper.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts