Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my g/f has a 1993 bronco xlt with 140k on it that i brought her for xmas, its got a 5.0 in it and 4 struts up front, looking to smoohtne the ride of the truck, it has 33*12.5 tires on it that just clear the bumper and rub on occasional hard turns...

will replacing the old struts be enough, or should i replace the springs also, any suggestions on the brand type, truck does little no no offroading, only on the beach and simmiliar things

also, if i decide to keep the stock coils, do suspension spacers work, and do i need taller struts in that case.

thanks for all help

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
well to start with you shouldn't have struts under the front you will have shocks. struts are on cars. Second. Yes replacing them will smooth the ride. But you have to remember that it is a truck and will ride like one. Also you will get the crap flammed out of you if you start talking about coil spacers. A new set of front springs should bring the front height back up a little. And improve the ride a little.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
:stupid

I think you have a combo of worn out springs and worn out shocks . I would replace them both (springs and all 6 shocks) then go from there. If your tires rub after your replace those, you could consider some 1/4 inch spacers or maybe 1/2 inch. Remember, once you start to lift the front of the truck, you begin messing with the aligmnent. If it was me in that situation, I replace spring and shocks and if there is still a little rub, I trim or tell the GF not to turn the truck so dam hard :toothless

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about brands, or good places to buy the coils and shocks from, should i just goto the local parts store, and do 5.8's have heavier duty springs?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
...and/or get smaller tires. If the only time you offroad is on the beach you could drop back to 31's and not rub at all. I think that would be my next step after replacing the shocks and springs.

Edit: Bilstein makes good stock replacement shocks that are an upgrade but you can get some that won't break the bank. 5.8's don't have any different suspension. You also don't want heavier duty springs if you want a smoother ride. Stiffer springs would make the ride more rough.

Edit again: Also, the 4 shocks in the front are not all the same. The 2 closer to the front of the truck are longer so you should end up with 2 rear shocks, and then 2 front shocks of one model and 2 front shocks of another.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
hijack in progress....

is smith's point's outer beach still open to 4x4's?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only during the summer, you from the island, i live right down the road from smith point, (shitty little town called mastic beach)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i'm at the broncograveyard site putting a cart together just to price this out,

shocks are listed as front of axle (front), rear of axle (front), front of axle (rear), rear of axle (rear),
i understand that for the front theres four shocks, so thats why it has in front of axle/in rear, but isnt there only one set in the rear, so y would there be the two different types, unless are there different mounting positions through the years,

any help would be useful

so far ive got 80 dollars for a pair of coils
128 for the four up front

how difficult is it to do the coils and shocks on a bronco, ive only done the same on an old 1970 pontiac so no real experience, imagine i'll need a coil compressor, but otherwise how difficult is it

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump

1 - 10 of 10 Posts