Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,181 Posts
I would for sure. OEM only.
Sonnax makes upgraded retaining rings to replace the problematic snap rings and they're cheap. If you're already rebuilding it id use those for sure.

·
FSM Lifetime
779 Posts
I would for sure. OEM only.
Sonnax makes upgraded retaining rings to replace the problematic snap rings and they're cheap. If you're already rebuilding it id use those for sure.
I ended up purchasing a "deluxe" kit that came with those updated snap rings. One of those is actually what took out the tranny in this truck before I purchased it. When I tore it open, I found that it was ingested by the one of the drums....

On a side note, a new solenoid pack is on the way, as well as an aluminum pan with 3 qts of extra capacity.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,181 Posts
If you haven't already, the steel 6 pinion planetary from the 4R100 is a direct swap, and will hold the torque a lot better, esp with the power you're making. The OEM is aluminum, and while it might be ok, i wrecked the one in my F250 and youre making more power than me. There's also an aluminum anti-drainback valve for the pump to replace the OEM plastic one, but that might already be in your rebuild kit.

·
Premium Member
7,152 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was on borrowed time, but that was the final nail in the coffin. The front seals gone and it pukes out any fluid you add. New torque converter and HD rebuild kit is on the way! :cool:

Is there anything else I should address while I'm in there? It's already got an upgraded valve body/shift kit. Should I replace the solenoid pack since it got so hot?
Do you run it in 4low? You might want to look into a giant cooler

·
FSM Lifetime
779 Posts
Do you run it in 4low? You might want to look into a giant cooler
I do now, but the first time out last year I ran a majority of the day in 4 high, and it got extremely hot and did a majority of the damage then I believe. As for the cooler, I got a big Derale one with dual fans I'm going to install at the same time as the trans rebuild.

·
FSM Lifetime
779 Posts
If you haven't already, the steel 6 pinion planetary from the 4R100 is a direct swap, and will hold the torque a lot better, esp with the power you're making. The OEM is aluminum, and while it might be ok, i wrecked the one in my F250 and youre making more power than me. There's also an aluminum anti-drainback valve for the pump to replace the OEM plastic one, but that might already be in your rebuild kit.
I ordered the aluminum anti-drainback valve, that's a no brainer while its apart and I'm interested to see if my plastic one is warped; I'm sure it is. For the 4R100 planetary, all I need is that and everything else I reuse? I've got to look into it more, but I'm sure I'll end up doing it.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,181 Posts
I've read conflicting information. I'm pretty sure because you have a 96 diesel trans it'll be a direct swap. I think some of the older ones need a different hub. You can buy it as a kit tho:

In the case of my trans, I wrecked the planetary/hub in mine when I blew it up so I needed the parts regardless.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts