Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Broncoless
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright everybody. i did search and from what ive read so far, the iroks are a really good tire in the mud, rocks, snow, and on the street for that matter. that being said, i see alot of you guys run these tires. my question is how do they do on the sand and how fast do they wear. my truck is my dd and if im looking at getting around 30-40k out of them then i will probably go with them. so what do yall think?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
They wear like super swampers.:shrug 30-40K? Maybe, IF you rotate them alot and keep your truck aligned. As for the sand, they are not paddles and they do tend to dig a little, but if you air them way down, they float pretty well.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
They are known for wearing quickly. I haven't heard of anyone getting 30k plus out of them safely...

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
if you want a tire that lasts that long you will probably have to run like a BFG MT tire

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,681 Posts
The hawgs will last a shitload longer, but theyre also like 3" smaller then whats stamped on the sidewall. Id probably expect about 20k out of a set of iroks, maybe 25k if you dont have any alignment issues. No way in hell will you get 30-35k. Personally i wouldnt run either on a daily driver.

I cant see iroks performing well in sand; they are kinda meaty, id expect them to dig like a mofo. BFG A/T all the way for sand. Seriously.

·
Chrome gets me home
2,902 Posts
either BFG M/Ts or A/Ts are gonna give you the best wear...swampers arent known for their DD activities but they look mean as hell

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
I just got mine driving on the Irocs, I did notice they are kinda soft compared to my old claws. So I wouldn't say they are a long lasting tire.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I have 15k on my Iroks that I've had about 2.5yrs now. My truck is a daily driver and if I put more mileage on annually I would not run these.

I expect to get about 25k out of them (another 2 yrs for me), more had I actually rotated them. but the rear 2 tires have too much weight on them and still don't balance decently and seem to make the front shimmy, so I don't rotate. Front tires are likely 60% rear closer to 70%.

I agree this would be a marginal sand tire. Very agressive and with a heavy truck you have to be careful starting off with the gas or they will dig.

They are a great tire, I love mine and intend to buy another set.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am running bias IROK's with an estimated 5000miles on them. Hard use on the trail and several road trips. Mine balance great. I bought a trailer to prevent further wear from street driving. I have about 60% left and I rotate them. They also work great in the sand. Definately not a DD tire.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I bought a set of 36/13.5/17 radials used for my scout. They were said to have come off a jeep with only 5000 miles. Two look brand new the other two are cupped. They are "E" series tires they are extremely heavy even on an aluminum wheel. I wouldn't buy them for the sand.

here is a pic of the scout dragged out of the garage

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
they arent as good in the mud as some would lead you to believe. if you play in more watery stuff, they might be fine. but down here in the land of gumbo, they dont have the tread depth to move enough slop and get you out

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i have the exact same ones as pictured on that scout(nice truck btw).
great on road tire. got about 20k on mine, i expect i could get another 10k outta them easy.

off road i hate them. at least for down here. suck in mud. they would dig bad in sand. i had mine on pretty narrow wheels(h2's) so that may not of helped.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a set of 36-13.5-17s on my 78. havn't had them for too long, but I loved them in the snow last weekend.
-Justin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts